No License Required To Apply Fertilizer - In Georgia

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by LawnNewbee, Mar 23, 2006.

1. LawnNewbee

LawnNewbee LawnSite Member

In helping to set up my son with his Lawn Care business; licensing, insurance, etc...... I called several county extension offices in the state, contact the GA Dept of Ag, and searched the Ag regulations site. Each agent tells me no license required for application of fertilizers/herbicides, only pesticides. No where in regs does it apply to fertilizer application only the sale and wholesale distribution. Any owners/operators in GA know anything different?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

A pesticide is a type of herbicide.

You are on the right track with regards to fertilizer. In Georgia you do not need a license to apply a product that only contains fertilizer.

However if the product also contains any form of herbicide (preemergent, weed and feed, insecticide, etc) you are required to have a license to apply for hire. Yes this also includes Roundup.

Your ability to conduct business in this area is very limited with out a license.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A pesticide is: A general term for insecticides, herbicides and fungicides. Insecticides kill or prevent the growth of insects. Herbicides control or destroy plants. Fungicides control or destroy fungi. Some pesticides can accumulate in the food chain and contaminate the environment.

I'm sure that's what turf unlimited meant...

If your ag department did actually say that it's ok for you to apply herbicides but not pesticides, then the person you talked too should NOT be handing out advice as they do not know what they are even saying...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say the same thing...I would say Hey,...give that to me in writing...That way when I get the $5000 fine, I can just show them my "get out of jail free card". Whover told you this has NO business doing what they do. And you can tell them that, too. If they have any problem with that, they can take it up with me....It is pretty ridiculous that someone in that position would be handing out such poor and DANGEROUS advice.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep....a slip of the type there.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My county agent told me that I did have to have a license for anything other than fertilizer unless "wink" I was doing it as a good will jesture. Im not putting out ANY herbicides or pesticides until I get my license. Take no chances with this, these ag inspectors dont show no mercy.

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

you will have a hard road of hope trying to convince the man that it was " good will " . like the others said strait fert or nothing .

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

they would never buy that "Good Will" simply put your being paid to maintain the lawn, that means you are being paid for the good will, in the long run.