No license required weed killer, Any such thing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mojob, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I have a spray guy that does my commercial property and a lot of my residential accounts, but this guy is busy and can't drop what he's doing just to spray a few weeds growing in the cracks of sidewalks and rock beds. Is there any safe, no license required homebrew mix I can use in this situation?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Most state laws are written in such a way that the act of killing weeds requires a license not the chemical used. But I am not a Lawyer or do I know your State laws. It seems to me there is a lot of Unlicensed Weed kill going on by Mowing guys. IMHO you have to spray the weeds if you want to be competitive in the mowing business. I know of a few unlicensed guys with the sprayer hidden behind the drivers sit. Not the proper thing for me to say, But do what you have to if the license is to much a hassle. Just don't move up to other types of Application. BTW Ag inspectors don't work week-ends. OK I know I am Bad for giving this advice.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

It is not like half the Mower guys aren't already doing it. We can't do all the weed spraying, there are way too many weeds. I turn my back now when I see Mack the Mowerman pull out his pump sprayer. My State even has a Roundup license that is very easy to get and I even taught the 6 hour CEU class for that License at one time. Sorry but it is not my job to stop all criminals.
  5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Ric, turn in your John Walsh fan club ID card today please....:cool2:
  6. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

That was good turn it in now!
  7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

In this state you must have so many months/years of practical experience working under a licensed applicator before you can take the test. I'm thinking of asking my spray guy if I could "work" for him to gain my experience. I'm not sure how that will go over with him though. I bought all the books that they want you to study to take the test, but lost interest. It would be nice to be able to spray Round Up, though. As a "spray guy", how would you react if asked by a landscaper/mowing guy if he could work under your license?
  8. TurfBusiness

TurfBusiness LawnSite Member

When I lived in CO years ago, I know they had quite a few 4 or 5 week classes to help prepare for the tests. Everyone always said they were worth it. I don't know if they have changed the tests at all but they were tough when I took them.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Not the liability I would want to take on Lightly. There are many who practice the Rent-A-License business. Two Companies here in Florida actually make their business as Rent-A-License companies. They do so by several loop holes in the law and have gone to great legal expense to defend those loop holes. Something about being a stock holder in the company at high up front non-refundable fees and Royalties and office expenses. The Rentee makes little money but ends up being able to sit for the test after 3 years.
  10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

just out of curiosity, what are the laws regarding someone who is already licensed in another state wanting to test in CO?