No money in "Weed n' Feed"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, May 11, 2005.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So far this season, I've gotten a few more customers than usual who for a 1 time ap. of "weed n' feed". I give them a price, however, anymore, the price I give is not real appealing to them. The reason being, is that I just can't do them. There is no money. This is the round that I make very little on, so I am not able to just go out of my way and service a bunch of 1 time deals who don't even want a program. In the first place, it's a waste. Either you're gonna do it right, or you're not. Second of all, they don't realize the costs involved for doing this "2 in 1" ap.. I broke down the costs like this. For a 1/2 acre yard, I use about a qt. of 3 way (@ about $30/gal., that is 7-8 bucks). 1 1/2 to 2 bags of fert. is $24. Now, for a $50 ap., (average going rate around here), that leaves me 18 bucks. This is before gas, insurance, administrative costs (including service agreement), and recordkeeping. I'm thinking my new "1 timer" price will be around will be around 70. Perhaps this will give them incentive to do a full program. It is nonsense. Actually, it is probably nonsense to even be doing these things to begin with. :rolleyes:

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. How about "Can you get this grass out of my flower bed without hurting the flowers and shrubs?" And then there's virginia creeper and poison ivy there too ...

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the biggest thing I tell my customers.

Either they sign up for the full program, along with mowing, or it goes to someone else, I'm not interested anymore.

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

We do lots of one time shots. They cost more, about 25% more, and we also do weed control only, no fert, they cost 80% of normal app.

We all want to have full service clients, but sometimes for us this is a good foot in the door to show we will show up and tailor our programs to thier needs and desires.

We are here to give the cusomter what they want, not what I want them to have.

EG

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

EG has a good point...
    i love one shot deals..
    i will repost my reply tonight...got to run for now..
    ant

6. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Williams Services,

How about "Can you get this grass out of my flower bed without hurting the flowers and shrubs?" And then there's virginia creeper and poison ivy there too

To this I say yes, yes I can help. We will do two spryas two weeks apart, using three different products, llontrel, roundup and ornamec. Then, two weeks later we will hand pull. and also snapshot is recommended. We won't get it al but we will get a lot out. Too expensive? Then don't ask, but if you want it, we can do it.

Works pretty good, and in two to three eyars it really amkes a difference.

EG

7. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

EG - I would probably just use lontrel and fusilade II, myself, depending on the grass type. The thing that I was looking at is the mindset of that particular request. They usually want it done for under $30.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So your doing 2 apps then? A liquid (for weeds) and a granular (for fert)?

Why not do all liquid or all granular?

I'm researching this myself, as I plan to get into apps.

Going rates are all over the place around here. I want to market high quality, and taylor it more in line with reducing surge growth in the Spring.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

$50 for a half acre???? At those prices, I'd go broke too. I'm getting just over $4/k and I have added quite a few new customers this season. I guess the saying "location, location, location" is correct.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do liquid for the weeds, granular for fertlizer.

It's the most cost effective way of doing it.

This is the reason you're seeing more and more ride on units.

Granular weed control is basically useless due to timing of wet grass, liquid fertlizer is too costly compared to granular fertlizer.