no money?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Toy2, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gave a guy a quote for some lawn enhancements:

94 feet of steel edging

24 bags of Red Mulch

Install weed block

Install a small stone border( his stones) wants them set in concrete.

Clear out the grass in the areas to be edged, weed block,and mulch these areas. Haul grass away.

I gave him a price of $ 523.00, calls me back and tells me to try and get it to $300.00??? Use cheaper mulch, or take out 24' of the edging???

Do you think I'm overcharging? I called some other LCO"s, and just the edging to install is $2.50 a foot??

Thanks for the help!

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

send me a full financial disclosure of your business...........your overhead.....maybe some profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax returns........then i may be able to help you out with what you need to charge....

excuse me while i cut and paste this response to 100 more threads

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

If you don't want to help people just go to a dead site like ********
    No one needs your smart ass comments. :angry:

If you don't have anything constructive to say you should just stay out of it.
    These people come here for help,they are a part of what makes this a good
    website.

4. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

This seems to be a popular answer around here, but the fact is, what the market will bear is not specific to your operating costs. There is a general margin and if you are below it, you're doing well, and if you're above it, you're eating it.

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That was funny, the first time I read it. :waving:

6. Toy2

I have learned to just ignore some posts, I think I want to hear that I'm not giving things away...mainly labor..

..besides the guy that wanted the price of $300.00 got it....his dad paid ed the difference this morning!!! So long story short I got my $$. :)

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good deal. I think you were right on or even a little low with your estimate.

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to see you got the full price for your job...

9. Toy2

Job went well, got there at 8:30, kicked it into high gear, had the oldest help one last time, done by 12:30, spent the rest of the day washing the truck and putting tools back in order. :)

10. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Don't work any cheaper than you are willing to live.Forget all the "lowball" comments.
    Remember if the truck or mower breaks down you need money for a backup,or rental,
    to fix it or buy new! Any thing other than that and you are living hand to mouth.I have done both and I have learned my lessons,having been at it for 22 years!PROCUT1
    may be more to the point than you like,but still right!