No more cutting wet grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gobblet, Mar 7, 2011.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I mostly work alone, except when it comes to other things besides grass cutting. I really think I am going to start around 10am for grass cutting. I just keep making more work for myself when I start cutting at 8am. Now with fuel prices (?) it's just stinks when all customers are fertilized. So I will work till 6pm or past. Who else starts late cause it make your job easier not cause your not a morning person?

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i used to do the same thing when i was starting out. it is not a bad practice of saving time and headache when you dont have anyone to help out.

we try to not mow too wet of grass.

3. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise" - Ben Franklin

All kidding aside, I don't even think it's physically possible for me so sleep in 'till 10
    I agree w/ grassman, things unexpectedly pop up during the day, I start at 8:30 sharp during the summer, and I get done without having to try to beat the dusk. That way if something breaks down or someone walks up to me and gives me extra work, i'm prepared to handle it without having it throw off the rest of my workday

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

There were days I didn't get started as early as I should have, but I basically do the same thing. I try to time it where the first lawn I mow is starting to dry out, and try to start with ones that dry more quickly, like ones with little shade or thinner turf.

5. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Same here. My fertilized lawns at 8AM mixed with a trivantage deck makes me go crazy. With a shallow deck with too much HP will cake up any deck. I wait till 9 or 10.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes 9:30 is about as early I can mow and I have a Quick 36 with the Ultra Hi lift blades and I have to bag most properties. What I noticed last fall is lawns really didn't seem to dry out enough ever for the best possible cut as the days got progressively shorter.

7. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

We start at 9. Last year we started at 9:30 but we didn't have as much work as we will this year. The year before that I think I started around 10 or 11.

I usually get up around 8am and get my little boy ready and get him off to his mothers house or a sitter. My help meets me here at 9 and we load the truck. We are at the first property before 930. If it's super wet then I'll wait. General rule is if there is moisture on the sidewalks I won't mow.

8. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We normally try to be on our first residential property by 745am. Commercial property we start by 5am or earlier. We would never get done with our work if we started much later.

9. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i hear all these people starting at 6am or whatever lol...i would never do that...the grass isn't fully dry here until 10am sometimes...i'm not a morning person either...it stays daylight here until 9pm during the summer so it's not an issue...i try to leave the house by 9:30am...wake up around 8:30am...but i'm a small one man operation...i only cut 5-6 yards a day at max

10. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

We normally try to be on our first residential property by 745am. Commercial property we start by 5am or earlier. We would never get done with our work if we started much later.

bet that makes for a happy customer!