No more edging with a trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have been using my echo trimmer for both edging and trimming over the past few years. I have always been able to make a really nice edge with the trimmer, but I think it takes too long. I have to reload my trimmer line way more often since I use it to edge. I feel like if I buy a stick edger I can get more life out of my trimmer. I was able to do a nice looking job with my trimmer, however I feel like I can save time if I buy a stick edger. What are your thoughts on this issue? Should I buy an echo edger( I ve had a trimmer for a while and I am pleased with it) or a Stihl. Also, I want to buy a backpack blower, soemthing simple, and was wondering what to buy. Let me hear from ya!
    EHO

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have all Echo and I'm very happy with it, the SRM-230 edger is a nice edger for the price, I like mine. JMO

3. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

Yeah I used to do the same thing as you, then I got a stick edger. I really loved it made things go alot faster. Another option for your is an edge it. I use one and I really love it, I can edge mulch beds in no time and sidewalks and driveways. It works really nice and you can still weedeat with the same weedeater without changing anything. Just an idea I have both edgeit and stick edger, both has its advantages. I will be honest tho I don't really use the stick edger that much. Check out the site www.edgeit.com, I beleive thats the site.

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I can't get the edgeit site to load.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

EDGIT all the way. The only time I ever use a blade edger ( I have an aol wheeled edger) is for new accounts with overgrown edges or one time jobs. The edgit on a trimmer does a great job and saves the time of going around the property twice with two different machines. YOu can do edges as fast as you can walk.

check it out.

6. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

7. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

Try the edgit on your Echo and use thicker line if you have a powerful enough engine. I use .105 line and it lasts longet than the stock .095.

Echo makes a decent backpack for the money and good power. It's called the PB-603 and I think it sells for around $299 or so. Redmax also makes an awesome blower (what I currently use but you are looking at around $450-$500)

8. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't matter how good you are with a string trimmer for edging it will never look as good as a sharp edge left from a steel bladed edger. Also, it is not good for the turf to use a string trimmer, it will turn the grass brown at the edges. Spend the money on an edger and seperate yourself from the other LCOs in your area.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

edging with a weedwacker is #1 on the list of " 10 ways to be a scrub"

10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If this is going to be you only edger don't skimp on the engine. You'll be happy when you have the power cut overgrown walks fast. The Echo PE-260 and the Stihl FC-85 and FC-110 are all great machines.