no more f550 now fl60 or int4700 for hooklift

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by minibin, Jan 13, 2007.

1. minibin

minibin LawnSite Member

Well after too long I have finally ordered my AL90 12,500 pd hooklift, but I havn't decided what truck to go with. I have been looking in the 19,500 GVW to 26,000 GVW league. I considered the F550 (7.3) with a 19,500 but think I will be always be pushing to the limit. SO now I am looking at fl60 with a 3126CAT or International 4700 Dt466 >In the 26k GVW. I like the LOPRO version's of these for center of gravity and load angles

Do any of you have experience in these trucks one motor vs the other? When it comes to fuel/operating costs.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bret

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

The 4700 is a great truck, the low profile design makes it easy to load with a skid loader and easier to operate and dump on terrain with a slope to it. We have a 93 4700 dump, 2006 F-650 dump, 1999 F-800 Dump,99 and 2001 F-450 and a Isuzu NPR flatbed dump. We have the smaller engine in the 4700, that is the only thing i would change about it. It has been a great truck for the last 4 years and it still has a lot of life left in it. I say go with the 4700 series you wont be sorry.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

DT466 is one of hte best engines ever built.

CAT's are throw away engines where as a DT466 is about $7,000 for a full rebuild.

What is your budget for a cab and chasis?

Depending on the truck you get you won't have to pay sales tax......instead you get hit for $425 every year for tags. Thats what happened to me in VA at least.

What did your hook lift cost and what all did you get?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Before you decide on a truck better find out the hook height on the hooklift.

As for trucks are you buying used or new ?

I would stay away from the Frieghtliners I would consider a Sterling Acterrra over a Freightliner.

My top choice would be a T-300 Kenworth a good quality truck that will last you many many years.

Make sure any truck you look at has 21,000lb rear axle and 10,000 or 12,000lb front axle you can put low profile tires on the truck. Also make sure the truck has 10 bolt budd wheels if you plan on mounting a low profile tires.

If you are going new really consider looking at Hino.

As for engine wise the B series Cummins is too small for anything bigger than a 2 ton low pro. Just imagine climbing Boundary Road Hill in first gear and having one h*ll of a time trying to get restarted when your stopped at one of the lights.

5. minibin

minibin LawnSite Member

Fordsuvparts> Thanks for the info, I am starting to collect the threads from this site and a couple of others and most say the same about the 4700 and all say the Dt466 over the 444e .

Gravelrat> I know the hill and generally avoid it if possible. I am keeping the axles in mind because as soon as I started going from 19,500GVW to 26K GVw I am starting to think why not go to 31,000 GVW the motor and truck is the same so? As Gravelrat knows that in our area of Canada we can opperated a hydraulic breaks truck up to 31,000Pds before needing a CDL. So that brings up a good question>Why wouldn't I go for a 31,000 GVW 4700 Dt466. The ins isn't far off that of a 26k, the motor is the same? Any advice?

Any advice on the best transmition?

Keep in mind a couple of things> there will be three different drivers, no CDL's or air brake tickets.The driving would be mostly city and some hwy driving.
    In regard to the hooklift I will put a Ampriroll Al90 12,500 Pds for bodies 12-14 (if its a 26K chassis) . If I went with a 31K chassis i would put a Ampriroll 100L which lifts 20K for bodies 16-18Ft.
    . The lift will be installed by Brad @ Fort Fabrication In BC www.bctruckbody.com he's been very helpfull.
    I have looked at the switch-n-go, stellar,K-pac, Hiab and many tradition roll-offs. The Ampriroll offers the most for my application. Which is moving around a Bobcat, delivering materials for bobcat work, junk clean-up and minibin rentals which is the new part of my business that I will work hard at growing. I started the new year out right by buying a good web site name for the bins. Look for it in February www.minibins.com I have done lots of homework on the hooklifts so if you have questions I will answer them hte best I can.(Remember I have never onwed one but have put the work into comparing them) Where I NEED THE ADVICES THE TRUCK?Motor?Tranny?Opeerating costs?

tthomass> I am paying 23K canadian for the AL90 12,500Pd lift and only a 2000 more for a 20K lift, i found a place in Washington that charges 16k for the Al90 installed.... and thanks the Dt466 does seem to review well!

I will be buying the cab & chasiss in the US probably Arizona or California, texas? the prices are much cheaper than here and better options for low Mile trucks.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

For my '02 Intl 4300, DT-466, 6spd manual Fuller tranny, 128k miles......paid $24,100 cab and chasis.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

So have you already ordered your 12,500lb lift? If that is what you're stuck with a 31,000lb truck won't do you any good because the lift is too small if you are looking to lift heavier loads for heavier trucks.

8. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

cat 3126 is not a throw away engine, but be careful. there are many variations of the 3126. Make sure the engine is rated at 250 min hp. if not you will be very limited on turning it up. we bought a used 7500 GMC and have been dissappointed after talking with cat about it. that engine is rated at hps up to 315hp. but the guts(iron) inside is different on the lower ratings.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

The CAT's I was looking at were not sleeved where the DT-466 is. All CAT's may not be that way, I don't know.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going with a juice brake truck try get one with hydraulic disk brakes all 4 wheels they stop good.

I would also try find a L-7000 or L-8000 Ford they are a good truck they have good visability the trucks are easy to work on. If you find one with a 7.8 litre Ford and 6spd it would suit the needs you have for running around Vancouver.

If you can find a Kenworth T-300 that is a good choice aswell like this one

73266388kw.jpg

73266389kw.jpg