NO MORE Fertilizer at HOME DEPOT NEXT YEAR

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Nick's Neat Landscaping, Nov 22, 2009.

1. bigredd

bigredd LawnSite Member

I would say this is BS. Typical 40 lb fertilizer cost $30-40. What about those 40 lb bags of dirt selling for $1.8 or 40 lb concrete landscape blocks or sand bags selling for $4. Lots of heavy low cost items at HD.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad you pointed that out....

Or those 80 lb bags of cement and concrete for $10?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When Home Depot stops carrying fertilizers, they will stop carrying hammers and nails, too.

4. Nick's Neat Landscaping

Nick's Neat Landscaping LawnSite Member

Haha thats what im worried about! But also i think it does Cost MORE to ship, due to all the environmental $hit going around thats just my 2 cents.

5. bigredd

bigredd LawnSite Member

Lots more toxic substances in HD than fertilizer, such as pesticides, herbicides, paint solvents and propane gas. Also lots of profit in fertilizer, from the producers on down to retailers. Just got a $9 rebate on a $38 Winterizer bag at Ace Hardware. They offer rebates mostly on high margin items.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmm, I wish it was true, but I doubt it.

I heard from one of my suppliers that HD and a bunch of the other chains had lost their shirts on fert this yr. I guess they locked in orders, or outright purchased orders when fert prices were very high last yr. Then they either couldn't move product, or had to sell it at a loss this yr. Don't know if it is true, but it makes sense. Look at how volatile fert prices have been the last 2 yrs.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Not happening here. Wish it did. For one thing, HD sells the wrong kind of fertilizer for most lawns here. What is needed is a low chloride, high potassium fertilizer with a very low SGN. You cannot broadcast granules the size of buckshot on a lawn cut at putting green height and expect them to work. Most homeowners do not even know what they are applying or why. My business is not hurt by homeowners and "landscapers" who use HD fertilizers. I get the clientele that expects better than HD results.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

My buisness is definitly not "hurt" by DIY homeowners...but it sure would help if they were on my to do schedule.

The stats that I seen of DIY lawn health were crazy and would help all our bottom lines!

And not from the finanical view...but from a responsibility/environment :), I just don't think homeowners should be able to handle fert and herbs.

Most of them just plum don't have a clue and don't know what to apply and then when they do, MORE IS BETTER!!!!

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Having a background in big box retailing management I have to say that it does sometimes cost more to **** fert than other stuff. You must remember that these larger companies get checked for infractions more often than any other retailer.
    You must remember that fertilizer depending on the state it is being shipped through could be classified as hazardous material. However concrete is not considered hazardous.

With all that being said - I can tell you that they will not likely not be selling fert. To high of a MU for them. They usually make somewhere between 25% and 40% on fertilizer. Then you have spreaders and other cross merchandise items that they make similar profit on. Even if they have to ship it on a different truck than their regular delivery, I can guarantee you the will find a way to get it into the store and through the registers.

10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

You are correct in thinking that there is a large chunk of change spent every year by homeowners on fertilizer. As far as them knowing what to apply, NO IDEA, most of them just know that the first number (N) will green. Most of them have no idea what P is let alone what a Micro is. They see the Scotts commercial in the spring, and they know that is there cue to got dump some chemicals on their lawn.