No more GOOD commercial 21" trim mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It appears to me that the end is near for the commercial grade 21" trim mower. Several of the manufacturers of commercial 21" mowers have announced changes that, in my opinion, are going to severly decrease the quality of their mowers. Here is what it looks like is happening to some of these formerly good commercial 21's
    1. JD has stopped making the JX 85.
    2. JD has reduced the warranty on the JX75 to 90 days
    3. Exmark has dropped the Kawasaki engine in favor of one of
    the gutless Honda engines. ( more on this later)
    4. Toro has dropped production of the 2 stroke
    5. Toro will drop the Kawasaki engine and replace it with one
    of the gutless Honda engines
    6. Ariens quit producing a commercial 21"
    7. Gravely is dropping the Robin engine and going with a cheaper
    B&S engine on their commercial 21"
    What are we left with? Not much. That Honda engine will make the Toro and Exmark mowers unusable in heavy mulching conditions. I have always found Honda engines durable, but gutless when the mowing gets tuff.
    My dealer says he won't even try to sell anyone the Gravely with the cheap B & S engine on it. Things are looking bleak for those of us that need a good quality commercial 21".

:angry:

2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:

Is their something Wrong with the Snapper 21" trim mower ?? I have an old B/S 5 h.p. and it's been good to me.. Don't use it much any more as my situation has changed, but it still does decent for me... Not many people mention the product much.. Is there something I'm missing?????

Lou

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I did not include it, as folks around here that use them claim they have a lot of trouble with the trans. system on them. Very few are used in this area. I have thought that Snapper might be an option with all the others going down the tubes.:)

4. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Have you looked at a Lawn Boy Gold Series????

5. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

We were told that Gravely would only be using the Briggs for this year. They are attempting to find a good quality engine to replace the Robin for their commercial series. Our rep took two commercial 21's from another dealer that we snagged on to. They both have Robins- 1 on the Gravely deck and 1 on the Ariens. The only 2 commercial 21's in stock for the entire year.

Parts Guy :sleeping:

6. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

If you swoop on one of the 2-cycle Toro's while they're left you will never need a new commercial trim mower. I mow 75% of my accounts w/ a 21" and you'll go through 5 decks and 20 sets of tires before that motor stops running.

-Dave

7. You are right but we knew it was coming.i am going to buy a couple of lawn boys before the end of the year.So maybe in a couple of years things.The future looks bleak for 21.But homeowners settle for so little on buying.The #1 21wb on the market is a mtd They outsell everyone.Most 21 have been junk the past few years.But what puzzles me is why go with the honda .

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

You should try the silver or gold lawnboy series, several people here report positive with them.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thats just more reasons not to take on lawns that require a 21" mower! Although, I still use one , about one hour a week.