No More Horse Power Markings on Engines.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, May 3, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Saw the /05 Lawnboy Commercial w/the new Briggs...No Marking... as well as some units w/the /05 Kaw and Honda...

All Horse Power ratings are Gone by /06 according to Dealer

Recent Lawsuits have forced engine Manufacturers to Eliminate hp Ratings and Go w/cc's Only.

RIP Horse Power
  2. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

thats unfortunate about hp,
    its gonna be like most bikes, just cc
    one thing they could do is post torque, thats something i care almost more about anyway. but i'd like to know what i'm getting, cc's just isnt enough. think about if you measured the Suburu WRX STi in cc's only, then that motor would be comparable with a ford focus, whereas the STi is a frickin' beast and has more than twice the hp.
    hopefully they get more complaints about people not knowing what their buying and they put the hp rating back on.
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see how they could eliminate it from being printed on the motors cause the number could be considered false advertising, but they shouldn't be able to eliminate the h.p. from the product specifications. Even using the dirtbike example you can look at product specifications to see which 125cc (claims) to produce the most h.p.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's how it is with the 2 stoker motors, like on trimmers. Why they don't have actual hp is beyond me. The thing about these smaller motors though, is that a motor of a few more cc's can actually be less hp than a smaller one. I don't understand why they're going to this with the larger motors, either. It just makes no sense to me.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

They're probably doing it because there was a huge lawsuit on craftsman and other companies air compressors last year. For example my air compressor says 6hp I think, well thats max it really only makes like 5 something. Well there was a huge lawsuit and they were giving out tons of free stuff to compensate for it. Same thing probably applys here.
  7. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Auto industry has never used horse power always been cubic inches. The problem with horse power is that there is so many ways to measure it and you won't come up with the same number. Don't see this as being a big issue