No More Installs...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjsquickcuts, Aug 15, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

A few cities in my area are playing with putting a stop to all new landscape installs for homeowners and Builders....yes everyone...No sod, no flowers, trees, shrubs, etc....this is going to hurt....I have been up-selling Installs like crazy and booking them for Late Aug and Sept. just incase this dry weather holds up....I attended a meeting today and voiced my opinion on the matter, but really think I was speaking to deaf ears because they already have their own agenda....I really hope T.S. Dean holds together and turns north in the gulf because we need it. I was looking at some weather charts during the meeting today, and Between Middle Alabama, Tenn, and North West Ga, we all have had it bad with no Rain this year. Then to top it off, this hot ass weather is just making it worse....

2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it is time to get into decorative stone. Just like the South West

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Install drought tolerant plants? That's what we do all the time, work has never slowed for us, plus it's what most people want. Just a thought...

4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Once again the minority rules.

Fight them.

Tim

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

It might not be worth the fight, and people in my area like trees like Jap Maples, arb's, etc...and they need water....Well I will see if other guys in my area are looking to help fight, because without numbers, there is no power....

6. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

This drought is bad here S.E. of you too. Covington is dry as a bone (local rainguage says -12 inches on the year). along with the heat= I have a lot of crunchy lawns. It has slowed down lawn maintenace and installs. If this keeps up I am going to have to specialize in irrigation!

7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Don't give up, it's you livleyhood your talking about here!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Our reservoirs are about a foot or two down, it's not as bad as it was my first year but it's a bit dhry :laugh:
    I did learn some hard lessons then, I've been operating on fuel only since mid spring, or about late April, this helps some.
    Guess it's just one of those things, once you experience it one time you're ready for the next.

There's not much to be done, prepare for the worst, hate to say it but back in 2001 they made it we couldn't wash our car or water the lawn (read: no core aeration, no seeding, no nothing in fall).

They have to put in water restrictions, it's not a matter of company money to them, it's a matter of having water on tap, even restaurants will exist long after they cut us off, we're just too exclusive a service to worry about.

Sorry to be like this man, but I thought I'd rather be upfront than give you false hope.
    Now on the notes of hope, the drought could turn around anytime, then again it might not, just have to wait and see.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

as if atlanta isn't hot enough or enough of a sht bowl. just pave it over.... and paint it green....

10. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

easy now! Bulldogs don't like , or orange for that matter