No more Kwik-e-Marts for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WhitakerServices, Aug 28, 2007.

1. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I have done about 4 services on a gas station, a fellow LCO referred me due to no room in his schedule. The first was a full deal with Edging (not been done in years) mow, trim, blow entire parking lot, full weed killer ap. priced at $125 and gave a quote of 60-75 for standard service. He was concerned about the price so I told him my per man per hour rate and told him I would clock the first standard visit and charge him by that. It came out to around $65 for the standard visit price and we had an agreement and a handshake. No problems until visit four, When I submitted the invoice he looked as if the 65 was unreasonable and stated that
    I hadn't actually cut as much grass as on previous visits (apparently the knee high seed chutes wasn't enough)
    He said the other guys do it for $50, 65 is too much
    After having had this same conversation (and a bad day) with other
    KWIK-E-MART owners before, I just slid my invoice across his counter pointing at the price and told him to pay the 65 and find another service provider, circled my phone number and told him to call me when the other guys don't show.
    I can't believe the nerve of some people I don't go into his store and tell him I'm taking %25 off of his Dr. Pepper price do I?

Thanks guys, Had to vent

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

tell him his gas price is too high and see if he's willing to come off that.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I think you handled the situation just right .

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ahhh, yes,let me take a guess, was he one of those hindu indians? Did not take me long to avoid these folks like the plague!

5. WhitakerServices

:nono: Apu.

6. WhitakerServices

I don't even know if there is anymore American owned gas stations anymore.
    Very few. and less every day.

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

A guy is probably asking for trouble by mowing without a signed agreement.

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

He'll be back.. it allways works out that way. You give them a price too high, they say sorry, its too expensive, and towards the end of the season they call back asking to sign them up.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a gas station account around the corner from me. All was well until the owner sold out to a Indian. I go into the store and meet the new owner and boom....right off the bat he tells me that he isn't paying $75 per visit (which was I had been charging for the last year.). He's going to pay $40. I said that won't work for me and wished him well trying to find someone that would do it at that price. He said that he knew plently of people that would do it for $40 and maybe cheaper. I shook my head and left. He called me about a month later wanting service and said that he would pay $45 per cut. I told him my rate had gone up to $85. The landscaping has gone to hell in a hand basket andthe grass is about knee deep. I'm wondering......where are all of those guys that he said he could get for $40.?