No more mr nice guy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Nov 16, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to say it, but Im done with being mr nice guy. New policy, dont loan anything out to anyone that isnt family or darn good freind. Case in hand, last year this guy I know in my small town has a Jeep salvage side business. I have and love old jeeps and have gotten a lot of stuff from him in the past. One day he calls and asks if he could borrow my 18' trailer to pick up a couple jeeps as his tow truck was down. Like a dumb azz, I say shure. He came by and got it while I wasnt home and brought it back while I wasnt home. Next time I go to bushhog , guess what, no chains or binders (1 chain and 1 binder of the four are brand new). I call and his wife tells me he is out of town till thursday. I go over there and cant find anything of mine. To make a long story short, his son took them home thinking they were theirs.
    Then my wifes girlfreind had this brother that calls me wanting to use my dump truck to haul two loads of dirt "just a few miles" as he is building a garage and needs an area filled. Like a dumb azz I say shure. He uses it no problem. Next week end me and wife are returning home when I see my dump truck going down the road. I chase him down and the same SOB has it. The moron sais he tried calling then went by and my 12 year old son gave him the keys and he helped himself. He sais "I didnt think you would mind". I blew my top, told him I was calling police and got in it and drove it home. My wife drove him back. Latter his sister tells my wife "that wasnt very nice not letting him even finish getting a load of dirt". Lucky for him I didnt kick his little butt. Oh yea, son got a heck of a chewing as well.
    Anyone feel as stupid as me?--- anyone.--- come on someone

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Some lessons are hard to learn. But I do have the similar feelings that you have about lending out equipment. I will come and help you before I lend anything out.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'll give you some advise that will save you more headaches than what you just experienced

DON"T EVER LOAN TO FAMILY & FRIENDS They are worst abuser of taking advantage of family, than any aquantenance ever thought of being

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ditto, anything for family or friends, just go ahead and bend over.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Nobody has ever asked.........other than another LCO and they know enough to bring it back the same way. I've borrowed a thing or 2 from one guy and he borrows from me........never family though. I'll do it for them before they get my livelyhood.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

don't loan anything to anyone.Tends to not come back the way it left. I'll be happy to help someone out from time to time if I can,BUT...............................

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think you should never, never, never, never loan anything that you use to make income. Family and friends will break you down and cause you more anguish than it is worth.

I always tell friends and family that I will help them anyway I can. If the need a saw to cut a tree, I'll drop by and lend a few minutes of my time.

Fact. People will not take care of YOUR stuff like YOU do.IMO

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly!
    I'd sooner loan money than equipment, and I'm not going to do that either.