no more one time or biweekly cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zmowing, May 27, 2004.

1. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

After 20 years of mowing lawns I'm done with biweekly mowings. All they do is mess up your route, and look like the boy down street did it.Giving your company a bad name. Same with one time cuts.

2. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Some one time cuts are worth it though, if they are a clean up job and you can get enough for them.

As for the biweekly jobs, I wish I were busy enough to justify saying no, but not yet...

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'll cut anyone's yard on a one time basis.

they hang the right amount of jack out there and I got the time.

bi-weekly are tough but all of mine are large areas and it is a single cut situation for good money.

GEO

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will do bi-weeklys until my schedule if full. The problem with one time cuts is that people expect the same amount of money as if you were going to do it weekly. In the spring you always hear the same 'ol thing....my mower wont start and bla bla bla.....

Last year I just started telling people I don't do one time mowings.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

One time cuts are not worth it, IMO. Especially this time of year. A lot of the one-timers haven't cut it yet and want you to come and knock down their jungle for them so next week they can start in with their Murray. Besides, who wants to spend an hour giving an estimate on a 25 or 30 dollar job?

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a problem giving an esimate for the nasty mow jobs personally. You just have to put a price on it that you wouldn't mind doing it for, and if they bite, you do the work, plain and simple.

most of the time they don't want to pay that much, but that's why it got that bad, and you never hear from those people, nor do I want to!

it also matters how much available time you have to fill, sometimes, you take on odd stuff, even though you don't like to as a norm.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I quit doing one timers along time ago. That includes fall cleanups, etc. If they are not a regular customer I turn them away.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Occasionally I'll do a one-timer, but I jack the price way up to make it worth my while.

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

My problem with one-timers is fear of tearing up my equipment. . .not so much the growth but what lies beneath. On regular jobs or jobs that you think will be regular its worth it to go slow and take the chance if it's not ridiculously too tall.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I stopped doing the one time mowings long time ago. I have narrowed down the bi-weeklys to every 10 days.