No more snappers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

As of last year, all the local Snapper dealers have vanished or switched to other brand names. Ever since Snapper started distributing mowers to Wal-Mart, the local dealers have been fed up. They've all told Snapper to shove it up their a**, and have stopped carrying Snappers. Has this happened in your areas or am I the only guy? I've ordered extra parts to prevent downtime, but this is getting old. I miss going to the dealer and grabbing what I need right away. :angry:

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

We have 2 dealer that quit carrying them also. They both told me not the reason was not just because of wal-mart, but the quality has really gone bad on them.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had a Snapper for my own lawn for a while and hated it. High center of gravity made it difficult to negotiate hills especially with the bagger on. The one wheel drive caused it to loose traction on hills for the same reason. The only Snappers I want to see in the near future are in my pond.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Y'all should have talked to me about a year ago, I had 2 old Snapper riders I would have gladly sold you for cheap. I ended up giving them to my HS ag shop class for a tax deduction.

I do, however have an old Snapper pushmower down in the woods, if anyone is interested. :D

Snapper was bought by Simplicity 2 years ago, which in turn was bought by Briggs and Stratton last year, however Snapper still does their own manufacturing in Georgia as a division of Simplicity, as a branch of Briggs and Stratton.

BTW, Briggs and Stratton also bought Murray this year because they owed B&S $10 million for engines used in their lawn tractors.

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

You're around $35 million short.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper really has turned into Crapper.. I had used an 89' model Snapper 21" that I bought for $20 when I started out last year.. It CUT beautiful..
    So, liking the design ( I've always liked the simple, easy to work on nature of their 21's) I decided to buy a brand new Commercial Snapper 21.. That POS cut WORSE than the almost 20 yr. old homeowner Snapper!! Never again..

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper quit selling to W'Mart in 2002.

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

then where the heck did all the snappers go?

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Briggs & Stratton owns Simplicity.

Simplicity owns Snapper, Ferris, Agco, Giant Vac & Massey Ferguson. All these products are sold only by independent dealers.

This may drive Briggs to produce more big engines for the outdoor power equipment industry. The 31HP we are selling on eXmark Lazers is a real powerhouse. I would like to see a fuel injected version of this engine in the 35-40HP range

TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Oldtimer
    Pensacola, Florida

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Simplicity bought Snapper a while back and took them back to the dealerships because big box store selling is bad for a company's reputation, it usually means they're going on the cheap. Lots of people were outraged when they heard Snappers went to Wal-Mart, and they cheered when Simp. pulled them out.