No more Stihl for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Aug 30, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Just gotta vent about this. I bought my Stihl Hedge Clippers HL 100's in March o4. I used them maybe three times a month during the mowing season. The thing wouldnt start. After taking it back to my dealer, he told me the coil was bad and needed to be replaced! No warranty coverage since its over a year and its used commercially! Cost: $177.50.
    I'll stick with Echo and Shindaiwa from now on!!!
    :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

2. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

:cry: And Im sure some LCOs out there would say Echo and Shindaiwa hedgetrimmers are junk too. Its all personal preferrence.

3. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I use all 3 brands mentioned and like them all.

4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

if it's the solid-state part, part alone is $77, without shipping.

we're tryin' to figure out what took shy of $100 of labor on a 20 minute retrofit, unless they rebuilt your carbuerator also. you got a right to ask them.

Sthil, Redmax, and Tanaka hedge trimmers are greater longevity, hence costlier to repair, than the other brands u mentioned lawnpro.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

177.50 to replace a coil? Ouch, I hope the dealer gave you a spare to go with it for that price.

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

that's kinda like saying since I lost 2 transmissions last year in Fords doing snow removal I'm switching to Chevy's (WRONG)

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I agree 100% because I've had my problems with a Stihl br-420 backpack blower over the years:
    Of course the blown coil but I think I paid like 100-120 for that repair, don't remember because it doesn't matter. Then there was the time I ran over the blower with my trailer and cracked the jet-casing which costs 70 dollars for this plastic shroud (there's 2 sides, ONE side costs 70, good thing only one side was cracked) but here I am in my 4th year and this is my OLDEST backpack and I'm still using it, the new br-550 is sitting under the house while I run the hell out of the ole' beater which still sounds and runs great.

Then I had the fs-85 trimmer which lost ALL compression within a year... What can I say, I just bought another FS-85 (one of the last ones they had) and I also have an 021 Chainsaw (that's an oldie) and a HS-45 trimmer and a Stihl edger - 90 percent of my stuff is stihl, I got ONE echo trimmer which is good, also...

Why switch because of one frustration? It happens with EVERY brand, only a matter of time.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

stihls the only thing ive ever used to last more than a year.

9. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have had my Echo trimmers for about 5 years and my Redmax weed eater for 8 years and both are running strong. I will admit that I have only been running them in my business for the past two years. I have also heard good things about Sthil products. I say use what you are comfortable with and can get repaired close to your business.

10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

shins all the way.