no more sulkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy, Mar 23, 2003.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

we took away all the sulkies from the guys last year, and i was just looking over the numbers. We document everything, complaint calls included. I will never buy another one of those again... By taking them away, it made everyone slow down, and consentrate on doing a good job. We cut our complaint calls in half last year. I know they are nice to ride, but they create lazy workers...
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What did it do to your productivity number? Staff morale?

Ain't nobody takin' mine away!!!
  3. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I took mine off today i will run it without it for a while but not because of complaints, because i need to lose the weight i gained this winter lol. :rolleyes:
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

No, that's not true. In your case, it just shows the poor ability of the owner to hire and manage good help, whoever that is.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder how many complaint calls you'll get when you lose 2 or 3 employees in the July heat because they are sick of walking and can go work elsewhere and ride, and you can't get your customers' lawns mowed in a timely manner.

Walking sucks vs. riding. Only someone sitting in the a/c of a truck or an office would take away sulkies as a way of increasing quality. Sometimes walking is required, but geez, these are human beings you have working for you. Show a little empathy for their situation.

Try actually getting out in the field and supervising some if you want better results. Lowering productivity and morale sure isn't the long term answer.
  6. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the only time i ever hook mine up is on 2 accounts. the rest of the time it stays in the truck. Both of those are open fields and i take half with the wb and sukly and my worker takes half with the Z. Works out good then. But you can get lazy with one at times.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Screw that, hire and manage better employees or get Surfers.
  8. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

Is there any truth to sulkies affecting the transmission in a bad way?
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

No, but it now seems it's proven that "watching people use sulkies" affects the brain, especially those that are bosses:p :p
  10. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

i agree with bruce, wait till later in the season, they will dread coming to working. i hope u have some boys on call. i've cut all day a few times with my business partner w/o a sulke, all day. from about 8-6 and it was all i could do to make it to the couch and lay down.

but on the other hand, some yards, sulkes are not needed. the lil 1/2 acre or smaller yards i dont feel that a sulke is necessary. but if u have ur employees workin all day w/o a little slack, you'll be facing some "help" problems. 85-90 degree weather in the upcoming months, just makes me feel exhausted thinking about it.

what were your "complaint" calls about anyway?