No more using string trimmer to clean up edge for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jun 14, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yesterday I am edging a customer who has 4 inches of turf overlaping the sidewalk. So I stick edge it then grab the string trimmer to cross cut, clean up and whip the clumps of grass that are extra close to the curb that the edger missed. A car honks and backs up, I look at my work and think to myself I'm sure this is the best this place has looked in years and I bet I have a new client here about to ask for an estimate.

Nope, he backs up and is staring at me through a shattered passenger window. Now, I have to deal with either higher insurance permimums or a major auto bill. All because I wanted to use three pieces of equipment instead of two to save 4 minutes on an 1.25 hour job.

From now on, all edging jobs, the string stays on the truck.

I figure if I continue doing it the same way, next time it will be a person walking back to me clutching their face with blood pouring out. Lesson learned.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Wow........Lesson Learned

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

find out the damage from a window shop before you even call your insurance. they will jump your rates and chances are the window won't be much more than just your deductible.

insurance is for catastrophe's not broken windows

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

**** happens u might as well quit ur job.. actually quit life in general and never leave your house if thats a reason to live in fear of using a piece of equipment
    Pay out of pocket front windshield at most is $500 i paid $120 side windows cost me $90

Every Lco uses them to edge around here they take out the wheel edger a few times a year if they cant maintain the nice edge

Windows break all the time a few a year.. You go to the local glass and mirror stores and the second you walk in with a storm door they know u are a landscaper

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

check your local salvage yards, many sell glass, usually at least 30% less than you would pay at a glass shop (around here anyway)

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

String trimmer only edges turf to flower beds for me. If there are rocks in the beds forget it. A stick edger is meant to edge a trimmer is meant to trim, lesson learned the hard way I guess.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edgers are our tool of choice when edging. Sure, the edgers aren't as crisp but after I shattered a screen door and the side window of a vehicle, I said no more. Customers don't like it, they can sign a damage waiver and assumption of liability should harm come to people and/or property.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess my deductable is $1000 so I will pay for it myself. The guy seemed nice enough and after I apologised for the inconvience he said I'm sorry too. I asked the guy to get an estimate and get back to me.

9. Bgaz

Bgaz LawnSite Member

Employee broke one Sat., cost us $204.48 to replace. No insurance claim for me!

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he seen an opportunity to get a new windshield?? Did you get suckered??????