No more Z for me this year.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

No matter what, I cannot seem to stop "mashing" the ground beneath me when I turn on the Z. I do a 3, 4, and 5 point turn and it still happens.

Just today, 1/3 of the way thru a lawn, I gave up and got the walkbehind. I was "mashing" the ground just driving straight????:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I have been in the game for quite a bit so I know its not my driving.....:nono: Must be the time of year I guess...but EVERY lawn???

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Is it too wet there?

Go by some of your accounts a day or two later... is it rebounding and standing back up?
    If so, dont worry about it.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I'm seeing it a lot down here too. The grass is wet, holding more moisture than normal going into fall. I've seen it with my competitors too. I have to cut it a little shorter sometimes going the oposite direction. Helps a little but my lawns are to big to change to a walkbehind.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know a lot of lawns when wet, with sod, they get touchy... i have one lady with a bad grub problem this year... the sod comes up in chunks if the soil is wet at all, i can barelyget the mower going if not perfectly flat. theres just no roots more than an inch down at most.

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Are you changing mowing patterns (direction) from week to week? If not you're at risk for rutting the lawns and matting the grass down.

6. dcramer

dcramer LawnSite Member

It's been raining alot here also and my ZTR just makes a mess. Doesn't it make you mad when it rains!!!

7. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

What part of Ontario are you from? I'm having the exact same problem. Been way too wet lately. Lawns look like crap.

8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Fall brings about cooler weather, cooler nights and yes it's been raining here in Alberta as well. I've almost given up on the large mowers, and we're letting the grass long in most areas except the front yard where we use the 21" mowers. These are not homes but condo sites.

I think it's the season. Large machines just aren't any good in this time period for me anyways.

:canadaflag:

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Richmond Hill. I literally gave up halfway thru two lawns to get the WB. Most of my lawns are LARGE and its gonna suck. I can t remember it being this bad the last 3 years. Mind you, I dont really remember last week but the Z, if it continues to be uncooperative, will take a back seat to the WB for the remainder of the year. Customers are talkin'.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this kind of situation more than once over the past 13 years. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do...park the Z and hop on a WB(hopefully with a velke) of some sort. Z's are about on average twice the number of pounds over a WB.

So what do you think is gonna happen in wet condition? They sink, that's what.