No more zero turns?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Apr 5, 2003.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a buddy who works for a large Lawn care company, they have been bidding lawns for this coming season lately. He told me that about six out of ten people they talk to say that they are leaving their old service because they don't like the "big riders" refering to zero turns, on thier property. Us being mostly all commerical don't run in to this but im wondering if anyone else has been dropped or picked up new customers because of this reason....Im thinking that its not really the machines fault or the size, but lack of know-how by the user. Or possibly just going o fast because the machine will let them go that fast.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe this is why they are loosing the customers, they go too fast, tear up the turf, etc.
    I used a walkbehind for 5 years before I got my lazer and practiced a lot before going on my customers properties with it. All that I use it on were impressed at how it did the job.And were happy for me that I wasn't tearing my knees up with the walkbehind. If it is real wet, I still cut with the wb, but the rider is the way to fly...:D :D
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 52" Grasshopper that literally scared the hell out of one customer several years ago. She commented that the mower was "way to big for their lawn." They now have a guy with a 72" Husqvarna mowing it :confused: :D

In fact the Grasshopper got comments from several people, but the mid-ZTR's don't seem to bother as many people, at least with us.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had an older customer tell me that my 61" ZTR was too big for her lawn. This was after I had been using it for 2 years on her lawn. She wanted me to use the 21"er. I stuck to my guns and continued using the big mower, until she became too unreasonable,then dropped her.
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member
  6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i have this problem with all my res.i sat down with all of them and said what don't you it making damage? most said that they just didn't like it because of its size.they also didn't like seeing nice lines which i thought was crazy.some said they wanted to see us work for there what i do now is i go to there house when there at work and do it.i didn't get any calls from last year about using it.i did get calls from some saying thank you for not using that big tank you call a mower.funny i still use them everyday at there house LOL LOL.
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer two years ago that dropped my because they weren't happy with the quality of cut my walk behind was providing.

I admit there would occasionally be small ruts but thats about it. But his lawn is always moist and is a really fragile soft turf grass.

So then they hired a company that used two 61's on a 1/2 acre lot and tore the **** out of the lawn, huge ruts, spin marks, no stripes. just looked terrible.

Well i got a call yesterday and he wants his lawn cut this weekend. I told him i would drop off a contract and sorry but this weekends schedule is already full.
  8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't care what kind of commercial mower you have.they all make little ruts once in a while.everyones lawn is different

good for you.he said your service sucked and then he dropped you for another company that left him without a lawn anymore.
    send him the contract and once he signs it wait a few days then do sure you left ruts the size of a dime big deal its normal nothing you can do.anyways good luck i hope he doesn't call you over then drop you after he finds someone else.i hate people like that
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've had 2 customers ask me not to use my Walker on their lawns. They are both postage stamp lawns so it doesn't take mor ethan 10 mins to do them with the WB. The only reason I keep them on my route is because I have other customers right next door to both of them which makes them easy stops. They both said that the previous guys that mowed made a mess with riders.:angry:
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a lady who did not want me to use my 42" Walker on her lawn. She told me to use my 21". I said,"Sure, no problem, the 21" cuts half as much and will take twice as long to cut your yard. Therefore, your price will double." She decided the Walker would be just fine. :D