1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

no "motorized" spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Nov 28, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else run into this?

Earlier this year, we had a customer who threatened to cancel service if we used a ride-on unt on his property. (Corner lot/ 12,500 sq ft.) He said ride-on units leave "tracks" on his lawn, so he wants it "push spread" every time.. His lawn has slight hills & slopes, so it's a "workout" to push a spreader on his property.

rscvp, thanks
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Charge extra or (in Borat's voice) "Say Goodbye!"
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say "Ah, bye bye now!" By the time he saw the price I'd charge to push it out and then pull hose, he wouldn't want my service I'll be darned if I'm gonna carry and load a push spreader for this one customer.
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have a guy that requested this, but he has a serious slope and we did tear it up so we are to blame. this was before the zsprays though, we were using jrco spreaders on mowers. as long as there are no tracks due to too muddy etc no one cares how we do what we do.

i would charge him extra or cancel. only options in my book
  5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have one customer that does not want me to use my Z. I charge extra. The lawn is around 4K.
  6. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I lost one last season I left a small tire mark and did not realize it they called I went out to look at it and took a rake and seed and fixed the coffee can sized spot and also raked out a thin area and seeded it for free.They said they never wanted me to use a ride on again so I said ok.When they mailed the payment they canceled! My competitor has used his PG magnum every application !!
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that always irritates me, when they aren't man enough to give the real reason, or when the reason is just a stupid ploy to change and the real reason i cant ever figure out. especially when the lawn looks great and you know the competitors work is inferior.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I had one customer ask me to stop using a ride on because it was making her lawn rough! :dizzy: I shared with her that we treated all our lawns with it and never had a complaint and that our "light footprint" wouldn't be enough to make her lawn rough!

I then told her that actually our ride on was lighter then a mower (was using PG's then) and has wider tires so now sure what the big deal was (only with more cooth).

We are still treating her lawn today...so I guess she is ok with it now! :)
  9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Too many variations in here. Treating 4k of turf with a ride on is just lazy and ignorant. I challenge anyone to do an even application that way. It's one thing (although foolish) to say that your lazy and wont push, but to even think you are doing anything even close to a good job on the small ones is just awefull. Things like this are just another reason why laws will increase...thanks guys. In addition...homeowners sometimes have pride in their lawn...A big rut or tire mark is a clear example to them that the applicator doesnt know or doesnt care what he is doing.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

So are you saying that you can do a better application pushing a spreader then I can with a ride on?

Am I lazy...heck yeah, but do say I am ignorant....that is going a little too far!

I would use a ride on ALL DAY on a 4K and KNOW that I am applying just as accuratly as a person on a ride on! :) Thank God I probably only have about 5 lawns that size...but still use my ride on's!

Sware by them!