No Mow Fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Russ, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

All it is is fine fescues. I use it for seeding steep banks and retention areas. Only needs mowed twice per year, 1 fert per year and 2 weed apps.

It grows to about 6 inches and then lays over. You see it along the highways with steep banks all the time around here.

Does not make an attractive lawn. This is for low maintenance areas.

3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Discovery
    I'm picking up a very large, very upper end sub-division next season where No Mow is going to be seeded into the common grounds. I have no experience with the No Mow concept. Is a single cultivar typically used or is a blend of fine fescue more common. I assume the single fert app. is September with spring & fall weed apps. A 12K lot in this place is starting at 165,000 and 44K lots are going to be $485,000. Homes will start at $800,00 and run to about 3.5 million. I wonder how people buying in this price range will perceive No Mow in their Common areas?

4. DiscoveryLawn

Russ,
    What I use is:
    50% Chewing fescue
    30% Hard fescue
    10% Blue fescue
    10% Creeping Red fescue

I do not refer to it as "NO Mow". Apparently that is a clever name someone has come up with to market this type of blend. These are all "fine fescues". They can be planted in a high maintenance area and be kept mowed at the 3" to 4" height. If you do this you will need to fertilize it more often and mow about every other week. These particular turf varieties do not like to mowed very often and will start to thin out if mowed too much. If you want to keep the turf maintained at 3" to 4" this really is not the turf they want.

If left to grow without mowing, it will lay over as it grows. The height of the laid over turf is about 6". The individual grass blades are, however, longer than 6". This is not the look most high end residentials are going to want in their lawn or even in the common area. It looks similar to a prairie after it is established. Do these folks realize this is what they are getting?

5. DiscoveryLawn

Russ,
    What I use is:
    50% Chewing fescue
    30% Hard fescue
    10% Blue fescue
    10% Creeping Red fescue

I do not refer to it as "NO Mow". Apparently that is a clever name someone has come up with to market this type of blend. These are all "fine fescues". They can be planted in a high maintenance area and be kept mowed at the 3" to 4" height. If you do this you will need to fertilize it more often and mow about every other week. These particular turf varieties do not like to mowed very often and will start to thin out if mowed too much. If you want to keep the turf maintained at 3" to 4" this really is not the turf they want.

If left to grow without mowing, it will lay over as it grows. The height of the laid over turf is about 6". The individual grass blades are, however, longer than 6". This is not the look most high end residentials are going to want in their lawn or even in the common area. It looks similar to a prairie after it is established. Do these folks realize this is what they are getting?