No MV control with Hunter X-Core controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, half the zones are in a remote area and served by 1" poly and the reason I don't want pressure until controller opens valve. Half zones are close to the house and served by PVC.

John

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

that makes sense to me now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

To some degree you are trusting that the valves you installed are always going to open when you want them to, but this is true of a lot of poly mainline installs.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Dosnt to me, no need to use a MV just cause of polly.

5. Wet_Boots

I'd rather install the master valve than to trust otherwise-reliable utility-grade poly with 24/7 street pressure.

6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Precisely Badger Man

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

make your polly fittings right, know your working pressure...

we have hundreds of poly mains with no MV...no leaks yet.

8. Wet_Boots

When the pressure is 24/7, things can change. Water hammer from closing zone valves is reason enough for a master valve upstream of poly mains, but there is something further that may only happen with some tubing, when the pressure is 24/7. I use mostly Oil Creek and Charter brands of non-NSF 100-psi tubing, which is the modern high-density material and all-virgin poly resin, (even though utility-grade poly tubing, by its not being NSF-rated, could contain remelted material)

If I do have a poly mainline under 24/7 pressure, like when there are hose bibs tied in, that mainline will only be NSF-rated tubing, at a pressure rating well beyond the static pressure in the system. No worries so far. On a master-valve-fed poly mainline, I can use the ordinary utility-grade poly, and probably save more on the mainline poly than the cost of the master valve.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Every system we install gets a master valve , and we use all pvc . Why ? We put in a quality system , a master valve is part of that quality . We have city water pressure as high as 135 psi in some areas. ( my house is 125 before the regulator , my hose spicot is before the regulator its great) . I fix leaking poly mains weekly , I always advise that a MV be added . Or I will be back again .