No New Lawn Allowed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jan 3, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

This is a bad thing for the Las Vegas LCO's. I was watching the Vegas news last night and they were doing a story on some new city ordinances. Apparently ALL new construction is NOT allowed to plant real grass, they have to use artificial turf. Becasue of severe drought conditions that have been around here for about 7 years now. Lake Mead is way down and all there water comes from Lake Mead that comes from the Rocky Mountains and the snow lately has been low. So I feel sorry for the LCO's that will suffer from this but I'm sure I will too. I live 1.5 hrs away in the Utah desert and I'm sure we will be in the same situation soon enough.

Just a little new for you all on the Nations drought conditions that see to be worsening.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

They passed a law here, that all new lawns have to be 50% turf, and 50% beds and landscaping to save water. Well they put sprinklers in the beds and it saves no water whatsoever. Just another way local polaticians are morons.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The water rates around here are going up every year. Many people don't want to water to keep their bills down. But as far as rain goes, we've had the wettest year in memory this past year.

4. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

this could add a new twist to the business, just keep a vacum cleaner on the trailer for the fake turf! :D

5. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

need to keep a turf sweeper on your trailier

6. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Total bummer wouldnt want to be in the mowing business there glad we have enough rain and snow to keep us mowing. this year was the wettest year i have seen since we started this business...

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You should look into insatlling artificial turf there are a few companies out there that offer quite a variety, the money is very good too.payup

8. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

if i lived in vegas (slim chance of that) i think this is the route i would go. -install

9. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to look into installs or something because this does have me worried (a bit). It still won't get rid of the folks that have a yard currently. I don't know, I just hope it doesn't come to that. The ban is only until Lake Mead reaches "normal" levels. That could be years and you never know-it could be never.

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

At the same time they will pay someone to haul their used water out somewhere and dump it. When all they have to do is install the lines to be used for irrigation and toilet flushing. Saves a ton of potable water.