No oil and the engine locked up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gilla Gorilla, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Okay I have a chance to buy a mower with a 17hp Kawi. The guys crew changed the oil and filter but forgot to fill the oil back up. They ran it until the engine locked up. If I were to buy this mower what would be the chance that I could get away with pulling it out and apart and putting a set of bearings in it and then it running fine for a while?

Restorob and other guys let me know your opinions please.

Thanks

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I can only speak for the 17HP if it's a single cylinder, not the twins. If it was run with no oil more than likely the crank and the connectors to the balance weight are trashed also along with the connecting rod. You'll end up paying more for parts then it's worth replacing the engine. I believe there is no actual bearings in those engines.
    If you can get the mower dirt cheap figure at the worst a new engine going for around 500-$1000.

3. Gilla Gorilla

Yeah the guy says he was quoted $1700 to do the engine and a couple other things but I talked to the dealer and they treat me REALLY well when it comes to prices. They quoted me around $1000 to $1050 with tax for the engine and I will put it in myself. I offered the guy $350 but might up it to $500 or $600 to get the mower. Either way it will still be worth it because it is a 2003 Exmark TTHP and 52" deck. I will find out in a couple days if he excepts my offer or wants more.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My honest opinion ? Slim to none. There are no bearings in that engine. It's aluminum crank mains and has surely wiped them out along with the rod, piston and cylinder. I did a quick check on my Dealer's site and seen a new engine is in the $1000 to $1200 range depending on spec. number. You can check the link below they are cheaper but again depends on the spec. number.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Kawasaki

Lots Of Luck

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try ebay, on new one's i have seen em sell cheap.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont waste your time trying to free this engine up, it will most likely never run the same anyway. You can get a replacement engine for this, the price your dealer quoted you is a fair one. Can also throw in a larger engine... up to 23hp and still have everything match up the same. Good info restro about the aluminum mains, etc.

7. Gilla Gorilla

Well I ended up getting the mower a week ago and picked up the new engine at the same time. I put the engine on with no problems and got it running. The only problem that I had was when I went to turn it off with the key, it would not. Now the old engine had only one red wire coming out of the right side and the new engine has two wires, one red and one black. I hooked up the red wire from the engine to the red wire from the key and hooked the black wire up from the key to the ground on the engine where it was on the old engine. Now when the engine is running both the black and red wires on the new engine have 12 volts coming out of them and the only way to shut off the engine is to ground out the black wire to the block which is not a big deal BUT it is not as easy as turning the key off in an emergency situation.

Any ideas from you guys. I was thinking to hook up the black wire from the engine to the black wire from the key and that when the key is turned off then it would ground out the black wire at the engine but not possitive.

Thanks

8. Restrorob

Hook the red switch wire to the black engine wire and call it a day.

9. Gilla Gorilla

Thanks Rob

When I do that should I just tape off the red wire from the engine and leave the black wire from key grounded on the engine?

Thanks again

10. Restrorob

Yep, That should do the trick. You have to have the engine ground to complete the circuit when the switch is turned off.