1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No oil Filter assembly on engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Natural Impressions, May 9, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I had been thinking about this but always forget to post it. One of my engines bf460v kawasaki doesnt' have an oil filter assembly installed on it. I bought this used. I do change the oil every 2 weeks ( service about 30 lawns a week) but have never installed a oil filrter assembly. I have never had any problems with how it runs other then a carb adjustment. Should I? Well I know I should but how bad is it? And it looks like it wasn't installed because it would be a really tight fit.
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah your fb460 is a 12.5hp engine that does not have an oil filter housing installed on it they ran many years like this and If you are changing your oil as you suggest then you will be fine. :)
  3. Natural Impressions

My other mower has the same engine with the oil assembly. Is it worth putting one on if I can fit one on?....Thanks
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Filtered oil is most always cleaner than non filtered. If you plan on keeping this unit till the cows come home it wouldn't be a bad idea. But if you think your going to up-grade in a year or two I'm not sure you would need it changing the oil as you do.

Oh, I'm still thinking about your other problem and giving someone else a chance to reply.
  5. Natural Impressions

thanks for the help