1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No One Is Icpi Certified

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STRINGALATION, Sep 12, 2008.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i saw that the GIE was here so i wanted to see if they had any cert classes i found none so i went to ICPI website i found none close so i used there search engine to find a nerby certified installer and in a 20 mile radius all i found was one over in indiana.:cool2: i am big on being qualified and being able to show that i know what i'm doing. but no one here being certed says either it wont matter to the public or it will be significant in bidding. i hope the latter. i want to tap into harscaping but i refuse to tackle a ever growing driveway.:laugh: 6000 - 7500 sqft:laugh: he is asking for trouble i might tackle a 36 sqft paver pad to put a rolling grille on but thats about it i bidded on an overlay and that was pushing it. i.m not afraid to make mistakes but LIABILITY & MY COMPANY NAME ARE AT STAKE. now if i could get my helpers to understand we cannot just up and tackle everything because we think we can read enough to doit. i think i just ranted on sorry about that:hammerhead::hammerhead:
  2. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

you should go get the course, and not talk bad about me, because i am willing to take on such a big driveway. I will grow with time and i don't plan on being a small company. the only way to grow is to learn, the only way to learn is to do.

So go out and do some jobs and then come back and tell me i shouldn't do the driveway.

Other then that go get the course it will help you out if you don't know what you are doing yet. Other then that a 36 sq ft patio that is really small but a good place to start. but if you can't have confidence in a 36 sq ft patio then don't do it. You have to be confident in what you do before you can tackle anything. Maybe just do a small mock up of interlock in a small area like a 15 sq ft area from a driveway to the steps for the door.

sorry if you took that the wrong way. just some hardscape ribbing. everyone wants to see how it turns out. it is that is a big job and they have pointed out some very valid points. and I HAVE TAKEN A LOSS BEFORE IT SUCKS I EVEN GOT A MESS CLEANED UP AND GRADED. MY GRADER MADE 1500 HELPER MADE 90 I CHIPPED IN 250 NOT INCLUDING GAS TO LET ME GRADE AND SOD HIS LAWN ACTUALLY so by no means am i perfect just hate to see it happen to some one else on such a scale. and a lot of the warning light are there. i hope it turns out faboulus but dont let some random comments discourage you or anger you but do seriously think about them
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

My head is spinning. ICPI Certified, Driveway, grading sodding. I'm confused.

Is this thread an instigator thread or what exactly is being discussed?

Maybe we need the moderator to delete and possibly start over??
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I never mention I am certified. I am almost embrassed to mention it. TO many hacks get certified and plaster the seal over everything the own. Then they go back to their hack ways.
  6. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure if this is to target me or if he actually wanted to see what people had to say about no icpi certs in his area.
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

it is still a valid cert here but my suppliers are giving the test locally now. When I took it I had to drive 2.5 hours away. We are moving onto level2 cert. just to stay ahead.
  8. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mrusk 100%.

the actual topic is as stated i just found it interesting noone here is in the data base so i'm like are they all doing it wrong. for example my neighbor got some curbing done at his house $530.00 for 2 hours work. 2-man crew. took a sod cutter then cleaned it with a spade. ran a nice gutter conduit under the ground that came out to a sorta hole with a cap flush to the ground then pumped concrete. i thought there would be some sort of prep for heaving now about every 2-3 feet he sliced through the entire thing i geuess as expansion joints. hadrscaping i'm not targeting you at all i just want to know if i'm wasting my time trying to get certified
  10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

no you are not wasting your time getting the cert. as for it validity it is what you make of it. We are certified through several agencies we pump them all when I talk to people. I am ICPI, ISA Arborist and a Mass Certified Horticulturist. My Wife is ICPI, NCMA, a CLP from Planet and a Mass. Cert. landscape Professional.

The certs are a base line and sell your customers that you have a commitment to continuing education.