1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No ones a Lowballer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

So someone who is starting out with home owner grade equipment but does the same or better quality of work as you would still be considered a scrub?
  2. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I see your point. Sure you are going to have a few lowball hackers out there, but there are also going to be a few hackers charging the going rate.

Mow and go is simple stuff so I don't see every lowballer making a mess.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Again, I think it's the higher end lawns where the differences really show up. It's hard to tell if somone hacks a crappy weed invested lawn that hasn't been fertilzed since the 80 year old widow's husband died 10 years ago, and those tend to be the customers that tend to be looking for cheap anyway.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Or, the people who think that way are cheap.

Anyone remember back in the day when Bobby G would have put a shovel in the OP's head.

STOP WORKING FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

in my PERSONAL OPINION, yes.

the very first day I started servicing properties I had an exmark 36" metro, a stihl fs55 trimmer and a stihl br 400 blower. insurance company had been called and was in the process of being set up.

but since you don't know me or my quality you can't really say the same or better quality work as me. that would never happen.
  6. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Huh interesting...sounds like you feel really proud of yourself for starting with commercial equipment.

I never said I knew you. I was saying I don't think you should be prejudice towards people who you don't even know and their circumstances.

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion most of us have been a low baller at one time or another when starting our business , as you grow your business get insurance , start paying uncle sam his money , costs go up and so does your price. Along the spectrum every one has a place and the entire system could not operate without everyone , yea it sucks when someone takes your business , but i don't know how many time i have had someone cancel for a better price just to have them come running back to us , and you know when customers do that they usually don't fall for the low price thing again. The low ballers have a important role they care for lawns that would normally not be able to have a lawn service and these are customers that most legit company's would not want anyhow , and the bottom line is they make the legit company's look good. People will pay for quality and low ballers do not affect this , let them do there thing not worth stressing over , and most people get there start doing this , heck i remember when i was 14 push mowing lawns in the trailer hood for 5 or 10 bucks each , but i wasn't trimming or anything like that , i wasn't taking anyone elses business , no one wanted those lawns , low ballers actually make the legit company's look good. Just my opinion . I meant no offense to any one who disagrees.
  8. Darryl G

This forum needs a "like button."
  9. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good point...
  10. Darryl G

And the king of quick and crappy, McDonanlds...but at least it's consistent, lol.