No perennial seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by J&R Landscaping, Sep 21, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer signed up for a fall aeration/overseeding job and customer does not want any perinial seed put down. I said ok and I did find a shady blend at lesco. I'm just curious as to if putting that non-perininal seed down is a good idea or not. All the seed i have used before was a blended combination with some perinial ryegrass. Is there any advantage to using a perinial free seed? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but help me out if you can!

Thanks

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you mean perennial ryegrass? fescue and bluegrass are perennials too. So when you just say perennial, that could be anything. There is also annual rye, and annual bluegrass (poa annua) usually considered a weed. Perennial rye establishes quickly and has good wear tolerance, but it does not tolerate high temperatures and is more susceptible to disease and other types of grass.

Unless the lawn is very shady, I wouldn't recommend the shade mix. Use a triple fescue blend or a 90/10 or 95/5 fescue/blue mix. Most bluegrass blends without fescue contain some perennial rye because bluegrass is slow to germinate.

3. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco's shade blend will have creeping red fescue, chewing fescue, hard fescue, and bluegrass, all perennials. Perennial just refers to it's life cycle is year after year where annuals just live one season (but they are very efficient at reseeding themselves and tend to come back from seed year after year) and not the variety.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if the shade blend would be better than perennial rye in our area in the shade. We have a lot of perennial rye that stays year round when heavily shaded and watered often. The perennial rye sometime get disease during startup and sometimes takes some spraying to get it straightened out.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hess you would might want to try as a experiment straight tall fesque. extremely drought and disease tolerant and requires little water.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

that would be an EXCELLENT blend, but just make sure it's the right stuff. Get the turf type tall fescue like Lesco's Teammates or Teammates Plus (a bit of KB in it). Do NOT get Kentucky 31, also known as K-31. This is that wide coarse bladed stuff that grows as a nuisance grass in peoples' lawns. It is used by contractors for highway medians and such.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just out of curiosity... You did make sure that perennial is what he meant, right? That's a very common mistake among people who don't do plants for a living. Lot of people think of annual as something that is there every year, so the opposite of that is a perennial, lives for only one year... not! But I'v actually had those arguments with people before that had no clue.

I just can't see WHY anyone would want annual grass seed, unless you were in the south and over-seeding Bermuda for the winter for green year round.