no phone calls yet.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob ricketts, Apr 7, 2001.

1. bob ricketts

bob ricketts LawnSite Member

i started mowing part time last year and this year i
    was hoping to go full time. i started advertising the
    1st of march in the local papers. have not received
    any new customers yet. i offer a full service lawncare
    bus. including fert. and yes i do have my lic. been working
    7 days a week at my full time job. start my vacation this
    week going door to door . any other suggestions or is it
    to early yet.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have been picking up a lot of business the last couple of days from just being out working. Neighbors and then their family and friends have been asking about doing theirs. Best is word of mouth and being out there visually. Seems like work brings more work!

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If you took the time to get to know your other LCO's in town then you could ask for them to refer you when they got too full. Just let em know what your intentions are and you wouldn't be stealing and lowballing to build your business. It might be a good way to kick off the season and to rub elbows with your competition.

4. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I remember that feeling, started my bus. middle of last Feb. Didn't do hardly anything in March. Did the door-to-door thing(that sucks), feels like your selling vaccum cleaners. Gradually, work starts to pick up. By May, I was turning work down. Same as what has already been said, "word of mouth is the best advertisment you can have".
    I live in a small community about 3000 people and I have found that widow women are your way in. Do them a good job and they tell the other women. I always offer to help them out, change a light, fix something small for them while I am there. Don't charge for the little stuff that only takes a few minutes to fix. Once you gain their respect, you will have to die before they will replace you. Put some signs on some stores if they allow you to. Light poles, senior citizens centers, anywhere they can be seen. Get your name out there any way that you can. Instead of running a little ad every week, run a larger ad every 2 wks. The larger the ad the more people notice it. I hope this helps, and good luck to you!

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am getting calls from regular customers and one referral and about 4 non grasscutting calls. But no knew grasscutting potential customers are calling yet. With the market being so saturated with lawncare people If I didnt have an established biz already I would be looking for another job. Usually I pick up customers as the summer goes along but this year I have room for newbies and the ads are not doing their job so far. If people are waiting until the last minute this is almost the last minute to call with temps in the 80s. I depend on volume as most of us do.

6. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

Bob were are you from? I think a lot of it has to do with lack of rain. I live in Florida and we are so low with the rain fall right now but the grass and weeds are still growing. Dont give up it will pay off, you just have to have a little patience.

Good luck

LiVe