No Phosphorus Programs ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BeautifulBlooms, Feb 13, 2008.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone out there run a program of no phosphorus? I have a few municipalities that are banning Phosphorus applications to the lawns. I am wondering if there is anything else I need to consider when setting up this program? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Is there an abundance of P in the soils at the muni's?

3. BeautifulBlooms

I havent taken soil samples but I am going to include that in all of my programs this year. It doesnt matter if there is P int he soil or not the municipality is simply banning it on all turf in their area.

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Hey BB we run a no phosphorus program and if you do soil test most soil has enough p and if they dont we can add it. I dont do any thing else and dont see any difference in lawns they still look great. from what i see on here most guys at lest run low p
    Charles Cue

5. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

No phos, programs are becoming the norm and soon will be the law other than new seeding here in Pa and Md due to the Chesapeake water shed, The big lawn care companies have already gone to no phos combos in advance to get a jump on it, the biggest gripe is the Binding effect in the soil.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We also run a no phos program. Bans on phos are becoming more the norm.
    It is not hard to set up a no phos program and we have not seen one iota of a difference in the quality of the turf. Every soil test we have ever taken has had more than enough phos anyway.

7. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

here in minnesota, we have been in a statewide P ban for the last few years. Only time you can use P in fertilizer is when establishing a new lawn or results from a soil test prove that the P level in the soil is low. More and more areas are starting to ban P. We have had no problems with our program at all not being able to use P.

8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto, Only use P with seeding.

9. BeautifulBlooms

What I am asking is, because you arent applying any phosphorus, is there any adjustment to your program in terms of your applications. Would you use the same composition fertilizers just without the P?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what ours are, basically. All the same, just no P. the only time we use it is with seeding. OCCASIONALLY, I'll use a balanced fert. when I want to work fast miracles on a lawn, but for the most part, it is no P.