No Pre M?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, May 12, 2005.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen more than a couple of the more experienced applicators post that they only use pre emergents on areas of their lawns that need it (like sunny, thin lawns I would imagine). They mentioned that they don't use any more of it, than they have to. My question for you guys is, don't you have year long problems with weeds popping up, since there is no pre em to keep the weed seeds from germinating? Not every lawn is going to grow thick enough to keep the weeds out. You're always going to have that customer that cuts their lawn too short, or doesn't see that their lawn gets the proper amount of water. Your phones don't ring off the hook? I would think you'd be running around too much, on service calls, but I don't know this for sure. I'm just asking. I really do like the concept. After all, I do know that pre ems have undesirable side effects on a lawn (like pruning the roots). Educate me guys. Thanks.

Vic

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

The goal is to get the turf stand thick enough and mowed tall enough where any seeds that make it too the soil cant germinate. The problems simply stated for blanket apps of Pre M ar (1) Chemical placed where it is not needed, (2) failure of desirable turf being able to germinate. Usually you will need it along walkways and thin areas as stated. If some does pop up due to weak turf areas from fungus etc in summer, treat those and apply Pre M on those areas next year.

3. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

they do not work.I've used everyone of them the last 25 plus years and they are a rip off.I can tell you for a fact that people at lebanon know it.They make granular pre-m's with fert.I pinned down a couple of their exec's and when I was done they could not argue the point that if people mow low pre-m won't work and if you mow right you don't need it!Welcome to the RIP_OFF

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the help. I'm going to remember that. I'm sure my lawns will be better because of it.

Vic