no prime

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark71, Nov 11, 2007.

1. mark71

mark71 LawnSite Member

I recently picked up a used mower that was hard to start. After a good look, it was discovered this motor wasn't getting primed when pushing the button. The previous owner told me it would start after 20 pulls or so and runs like new after its started. So I cleaned the carb and replaced the bowl gasket and gasket between the air filter panel and carb and the primer button. Still won't prime. Button works fine, checked panel for cracks, everything looks good. I can blow air into the primer port and gas will come up the primer tube, so no blockage......So where could I be losing this prime..? Oh the motor is a B&S123K05-0275 E1. 6.5h.p Any Ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Try installing two air filter base gaskets and don't over tighten the screws, These plastic bases warp in time and no longer seal properly.

Or, You could just replace the base but still don't over tighten the screws.

3. mark71

mark71 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks Restrorob...... I did just go out and try the double gasket, but that didn't work either. I guess I'll get the new air filter base. Once again, thanks for the reply