No Rain 2 Rain Everyday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjsquickcuts, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Man, its crazy how this weather has been this year. Early in the season, we couldn't buy a bucket of rain or a rain drop. It was sooo dry, and so hot. Grass wasn't growing, or turning green at all. But last month, it all changed. We started with one rainy day aweek, but it was very brief but did add some relief. Over the last 3 weeks, we have been getting some pretty good rain fall. It has really made a difference in the lawn maintenance season here in ATL. Its raining right now, and we are expecting more today, and everyday this week. Temps are not suppose to get over 83 degrees for the next 7 to 8 days.

Now the only bad thing about getting rain is, most lawns have gotten much thicker, and taking a little longer to cut. No more one pass and out. I have gotten off schedule, and was scheduled to work today but thinking about calling it a day depending on how long it keeps raining.

Good thing about all this rain is all my lawns have gotten so green and thick, and all my fears of losing income have all been washed away by all the rain.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear it for ya, but you guys must still be showing some kind of rain deficit for the year though. I remember reading back that some places in the SE was as much as 40 or 50" below in rainfall for the year. My father lives about an hour and a half from you in Athens and said things are just now coming around.

NEVER curse the rain, take it while you can...

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hey rodfather...where abouts is your father...I am 20 mins from Athens.

I was suprised, but with the little amount of water I have given my front lawn (Bermuda) it has stayed green all summer and I have been cutting every 5 days all summer...I have also dodged the bullet when I planted my fescue this spring...so far its alive and well and looks like it will pull through this year and make it another year.

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats awesome dude thanks for the update. Glad to see the rain return.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Bet you feel much better looking at green lawns for once. I know what is like down here in FL its been dry lately.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You guys just dont understand. Sad thing is, most customers were looking at me like it was my fault their lawns weren't turning green and getting nice and thick. Even some of my accounts with irrigation were having problems. But yeah, it really is much better looking at a nice green lawn.

There are still signs of the drought....low lake levels, and watering bans, but the little rain we have gotten has been enough to green up the lawns and keep them growing. I really though we were in trouble this year, but the rain really has saved us here in Atl....