No rain in Florida

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mes37fan, May 9, 2006.

1. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and I started my business on 3-1-06 and have 13 accounts. It has hardly rained in southwest florida the last couple of months. I have put out doorhangers and have an add in the local paper. My mower dealer and father tell me that when the rain comes that I will get more calls that I can handle.

Do any LCO'S in Florida feel the same or do you think that people have their lawn care provider in place? I need 20 more accounts ASAP and my goal is to have between 55 and 60 customers. :usflag:

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as rain goes it is supose to rain here for 5 days STRAIGHT!!!:cry:

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just be patient!!! It wont be long and you wish it wasnt raining. So far advertising $ spent this yr arent generating the level of income it usually does. That is why you save and invest for times just like this. Good Luck!!! 80% of my customers are on monthly service agreements which helps tremendously, however, I can sense their thoughts when they are wrighting the check and usually I am there everyweek and for months its been everyother week. I refuse to mow a dried up yard and make it worse.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

WOO HOO! Thank the lord that it rained here this morning. Hopefully that will get rid of the wildfire issue from here for awhile. Couldnt ask for a better birthday present here. Been 2 months with no rain.

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

It finally rained here yesterday afternoon after a bout 2 months without. It's not nearly enough, but it's a start. We got about a half an inch. But we are still about 7-8 inches below for the year. The local weather guy said last night that the whole state of FL is going through its driest year so far, since records have been kept, late 1800's! So please, so of you up north, please send some this way! Just a little! I'll give you a beer!!!:drinkup:

6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

seven is what i heard.

7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

This is why I am the sole controller of their sprinkler system!

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

got our first rain in 6 weeks last nite. only one other spring has been this dry in the 18 yrs i have been here. its florida and sooner or later its going to start raining and your biz will pick up. drought is another reason i wont use contracts. it isnt fair to the custermers.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, we got about 2 hrs of rain here this morning. It was a very welcome sight for sure.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

yeah we got 1/4 inch. It was nice, but we need that for the next 8 days straight.

And yes once the rain comes the clients will too, but lets just hope it isn't like in 98 when it waited until July to rain.