no rain in two months!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nickgerne, Jul 10, 2005.

1. nickgerne

nickgerne LawnSite Member

luckly my accounts are in good areas where people water their yard so mowing isn't a concern but the plants...here in San Antonio it hasnt rained good since the beginning of MAY!!!

i've been noticing that most of my jobs the full sun plants are starting to burn out even with the water. I've never experienced this lack of rain before...hell two years ago it rained 3 feet. feast of famine in south Texas i guess. any suggestions on what to do?

plants in stores and nursreys don't look so good either - nothing that has color i holding - just the green stuff....right now i've told my clients to tuff it out and i remove the burnt to crisp plants when i mow and dispose free of charge.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I would to send you some of the rain we are getting here. It has rainded here almost every day for the past 3 months. Roads are washed out all over the place. I am afraid that when it does stop raining it will forget how and we will go for 2 or 3 months without. It is either bake or flood it seems.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

We've had it pretty dry here in VA but now come the Florida Hurricanes :) which usually send their aftermath to us. We got 4 to 6 inches a couple days ago, it rained HARD.

My first year in business (2001), Virginia had 2 or 3 months with no rain followed by another month or two without and I got to experience that on top of a tough year. By september, it was against the law to water the yard OR wash your car - 1000 dollar fine: Ruined core aeration pretty nicely.

So...
    Hang in there, and don't spend no money. It will get better, but I do not know when.

This is one the reasons I am always harping about how important it is to learn how to save money because times like these are not uncommon in the business. As for me, I am glad because it helps thin out the herd.

Only the tough survive.
    Good luck.

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope we get something, this is crazy, I feel I'm mowing dirt on some jobs, others customers are telling me not to show up??? I only have a few that really take care of the yards by watering, but some are complaining about the cost???

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

As I have posted many times lately, and Im with fixer67 here, I sure as heck would like to send you some! How much would you like? One foot? Or maybe two? No crap, I am really tired of it!

6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I heard last week that Chicago has had six inches of rain since March 1 which is less that the drought year of 1988. I have logged four inches for the same period of time here SE of Peoria. Mowing has basically stopped here until we get rain.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I will vouch for that! Dry, dry, dry! I irrigate so am still mowing mine weekly, but have skipped several customers for 2 weeks now.

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Just keeps raining here in SC. Totally opposite situation then yours in that I have to cram a lot of work into short periods of time when it isn't wet.

I hope that Dennis sends a bit of moisture your way.

9. lawnhoney

lawnhoney LawnSite Member

Hi guys! It's been unbelievably dry here also , thank goodness this isn't our only income no rain for at least 4 wks and the one or two dribbles wev'e had don't count :dizzy: . We have several people that we are only cutting every 2 weeks and then still really dusty :cry Hope we get some soon I feel really bad for all our farmers the corn is really screamin for rain ;) July sale are not looking too promising everone is saying SKIP ME this week Hope it gets better soon for all!!

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Think about this one for a minute. You are driving down the road and look in the rear veiw mirror and the road behind you is GONE!!!

That happend to an old man and his granddaughter the other day here because of the rains. Below is a clip from the Tryon Daily Bulletin.

road.jpg