1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

no rain what do i do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

it hasn't rained here in over a month what do i do keep mowing until the customer says stop or just mow bi-weekly until there is some rain i have another job so i wouldn't be hurting to bad if i stopped mowing right now but i would like to put back more money.
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have switched to bi weekly.As much as i want to cut and make money driving over the grass when its this dry only harms it more,in the long run you loose out anyways.I would go bi weekly with the real bad ones and hope for some rain inbetween.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area you stop mowing when it is extremely dry because the mowers damages the grass and you see big tire tracks in the lawn. Customer don't take that lightly!
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

When we were in the real bad drought in Ohio (july early august) I was cutting them every 10 days and I raised the mowers up alittle (think i was at 3.5" or 3.75") This worked well for me. Other companies that I know were going every 7 days or 6 days and pretty much burned their lawns up in the early stage of the drought, I kept at mine every 10 days and they never did get toasty, they just werent growing as much and stayed green. The guys I know had to skip theirs for 2 weeks and skip a week ehre and there. Then we got rain due to the hurricane and the lawns are growing like crazy again.
  5. Diversification.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have been doing our spraying and fertilizing. It's also a good time to do those jobs around the house that yopu didn't have time for when you were busy. You know like going for motorcycle rides, spending time with the kids etc. Leaves are also starting here because of the dry weather. We also try to keep a few cleanup type jobs on our schedule. Some people don't have a time frame for these jobs, We are getting our equipment ready for overseeding because there is going to be a ton of properties that will need it. There is money to be made if you look.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, when the grass doesn't grow, I don't cut it.
    This is the main reason why I harp on and on about if you want to start your own business, you need to SAVE enough money to do it and it is the reason why I say the skill of saving money is invaluable in the business, hence if you saved it to begin with, you should be saving it now as you already know how to do it. I got enough in the bank where I can see 'ya next spring if push came to shove... Wouldn't be the first time things got tight, this is an absolute normal part to every business, especially a seasonal one that depends on weather as much as ours.
    You HAVE to know how to save your money, otherwise when things go dry (believe me, weather is only ONE way in which it happens) you will be part of the herd that goes bye-bye as things thin out, it's all part of natural selection.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I honestly do not know how you guys can cope with this line of work without flat rate seasonal CONTRACTS for mowing.

It's just unbearable to me... which I found out the hard way years ago. I haven't accepted anything by the cut in years, except for a hand full I picked up 2 months ago. LONG STORY. Anyways, been raining like crazy for 3 years, so I feel pretty comfortable and I think no big deal just to finish the season for a few.

Wrong!!! Still nothing has changed, same old crap just like it was in years past. Here I've been busting my arse to keep up with all the wet weather growth... but low and behold, the first week it didn't rain and the lawn didn't grow 7" in 7 days, 25% of those non-contracted jobs wanted to cop-out. The second week, 75% of them wanted too. I wouldn't be surprised if 100% do before this week is out.

They sure don't mind to allow you to work yourself to death to keep up, or not pay you if the growth is really slowing you down. But they would die before they would give you one easy below average growth cut. No, they want to cancel that week and not pay so the lawn can go 14 days for you to bust your hump twice as hard on next week.... and of course they do not want to pay any more than normal cut price.

I couldn't imagine trying to cope with the aggrivation and rely on a survival income from a whole book of business billed by the cut.

Pay By The Cut is the name of the road that leads straight to the poor house.
  9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I better get a phone call if they don't want their lawn cut.. No call, we will mow dust.. I'm not sending a crew out at a cost of over $500.00/day just to check on every lawn to see if it needs mowing..

If they call and give me a few days notice, it doesn't bother me to call my guys and get them to cross the name off the list for that week..

We will go bi-weekly on contract (non monthly) accounts..
  10. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

funny you should bring this up. i have been doing searches on this , and i need some questions answered. First, do you break your fee into 12 monthly payments? and , do you add all extra services (trimming, beds, cleanups) into your seasonal mowing contract? Im going to go this route, but im struggling in how to word and price everthing. example: concerning pulling weeds in the beds, do you a) figure a price for say 3 times a year or b) or word it in the contract "as needed basis" in which case do you figure up to say 5-6 times a year for pricing, but not word it 5-6 times a yearr in the contract?? Im also trying to figure the same thing for leaf cleanups and snow removalin a seasonal contract with my mowing customers. so far it seems to me as if it would be easier to state a certain amount of times for each service provided(except mowing). I am definatley going to go this route because right now as dry as it is i would be just fine.