1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No read contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Dec 3, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I won't work with out a contract, not cut 1 blade of grass or lay 1 paver, nothing until the customer signs on the dotted line. But I think in the last 10-20 yrs I might have had 1 customer actually read what they were signing. After the job is completed if its an install or fert we have the customer sign another paper saying that we were there and performed the work and it meets there requirements and that there satisfied with the results. Just put it on a clip board and hand it to them and ask them to sign it for our records and no one has refused or actually read what they signed.
    So why would anyone want to work with out out a contract or written agreement? And The people I work for are your average consumer, Ask yourself the last time you bought a car did you read every word of each document the salesman/finance people stuck under your nose and said you need to sign and date here. All its means is yada yada yada. So how come you don't want to use a contract? Comments
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they don't want to use a contract, because they are unsure of themself, and are AFRAID it may scare off the client. in other words, when push comes to shove, they ARENT IN CHARGE, the client is. i bet like hell, if the client told them, " here, i want you to sign this agreement before i ALLOW you to start working", they'd sign it in a heartbeat. you are correct, most clients don't read the contract.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it is a practical matter to not always have a contract. I have some very small accounts that are very profitable. they call, I haul....

why have a contract? they don't call I don't haul.

HOWEVER...I can see one reason not to turn a tap handle without a contract...and that is if you invoke the indemnifying clauses...you know, the "if I kill you I am not responsible" stuff.

please note, I have not commented on the times I DO require a contract.

GEO :)
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Makes perfect sense. Why would you want to increase your risk and liability without a contract. The second sign off that you have sounds like a good idea as well. If you ever had a customer try and sue you they wanted have ground to stand on. "Here is the contract in black/white here is your signature" Cust:"Well I was not satisfied with the work."Not according to this document that you clearly signed stated that you were" Case Closed

I think that is one of the few good things that is going to come out of the Consumer Affairs statute that will take effect as of Jan 1 in NJ. All services will need to be in writing. To the customer it will simply seem like another way the government is trying to protect them.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually go over the contract with my clients and make sure that they know what everything means . i also go over any estimate pages drawings ,scetches , or designs so that we are all on the same page . because if i didnt then there would be one of those "you didnt tell me that" type things going on . but you are right mac if i didnt go over it they would just sign .