no real base in sight

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cutbetterthanyou, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a quick question. First off, i don't do hardscapes (i would like to but am not ready yet) and i know that i need to take the class and all that stuff first.

A buddy of mine took on a job that he knows nothing about and asked me to help him, because i am always talking to him about what I read here on lawnsite and telling him i would like to get into it some day. His father does sewer lines and had to put one in under a OLD WAVY brick patio. My buddy told the owner he could put it back in after the sewer line install so here i am on i guess what you would call my first install.

Now here comes the issue we started the dig last week i had planned on: 2 inch brick,1 inch bedding sand,and 6 inches of cusher run. I know that you have to dig down to a base and at least 9 inches according to what i planned on. The problem is we have now gotten down to about 16 inches and i am still in topsoil an there are some spongy spots. (I later found out that the house we are working on is the oldest in our town being built in 1750 and that the land it is sitting on was drudge out of the river) so i really don't think i am going to ever get to clay because there is none.

I already asked a good friend of mine that does alot of driveway and he said put number 2s down and tamp them into the dirt then put down my base no fabric. I am not to sure, but i went ahead and put the 2s down. I don't feel this is right, but it seems to be a not so normal of a job ether. I really don't like the idea of no fabric so the idea hit me to leave the 2s down tamp them, then put down stone dust or the dirt/sand that they use on pads for houses (here it is called bank run) tamp it . This would be my sub base . Then fabric, then chrusher run, sand, and bricks.

What do you guys think? What would you do? Sorry for the long thread and please no smart answers

2. cutbetterthanyou

Anyone ? Got a few views, but no answers.

3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

That's a tough one. I would be tempted to till in some portland to stabilize that soil then compact the sub base with a sheepsfoot. Most DEFIANTLY use geosynthetics over the sub base and compact the proper base material in lifts, then 1" sand, lay pavers.

4. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks, what exactly is portland? Is there anotheir name for it? Never heard of it exept for on here. Yeah, i am going to use the geo i already paid the $525 for it, its going somewhere. The lifts i was planning in 2 inch lifts as it is a rental compactor and not very strong.

5. Captains Landscape

As far as portland, well...... Portland Cement. Dont take offence to this but you purchased geoTEXTILE, correct? Looks more like tarp material, not grid like material (netting).

6. cutbetterthanyou

I haven't opened it yet but the guy that i buy all my landscape supplys sells alot of pavers . I just got what he told me went between the base and sub base. Which should it be? The invoice says "road stab fabr 12.5x 432 (500x)" is this right? The grid is what is used on walls right that is the netting, and the geo textile is the fabric that goes down is between the base and sub base and the sand and base, right? I know what needs to go where I think, but i am so bad with the names of things.

7. Captains Landscape

you have the correct product. Good luck, and have fun digging to china for your overdig if you choose too.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would take captains advise on this one, and introduce portland cement into the soil. You can till it in which is an easier method, or attempted at it by hand. You can mix in a VERY minimal amount of water, or if it is pumping already leave it as is. (too much water and it's gonna be a biotch to tamp) Once it is evenly distributed tamped the heck out of it as you would normally do your sub base. Lay down your geotex and go about the project as normal. I would use more base as cheap insurance since your down far enough already.

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How deep is the sewer line??? How was that back filled?? The portland trick could work, it's propbably what I would try. I'm assuming that you are not in the area previously excavated for the sewer when you are describing those soil conditions. Take special care in the area that was excavated for the line, it needs to be compacted and should really not be filled with soil if you are building over it!!!!!!

10. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

No fabric between your base and sand. Fabric only goes between your sub base and base.