1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No Respect for the profession

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHS Lawns, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Are you really quoting a source as unreliable as Wikipedia? And thats a pretty short list of professions. I dare say there are a number of professionals who would take umbrage at not being included in that list.

Look at the actual definition of professional and you will find that, while landscaping is an industry, referring to yourself as a professional of an industry is a perfectly proper use of English.

Professional: (from merriam-webster, not wikipedia)
    a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
    b : engaged in one of the learned professions
    c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
    a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
    b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
    c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
    : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>​

Are you an anti- dentite?
    That was a great episode!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

:laugh:Yes it was. Then there was the one about the Dermatologist getting no respect--"Pimple Popper!" Oh you treat skin Cancer too forgot about that:hammerhead::laugh:
  4. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a pro.
  5. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

That pretty well sums it up.
  6. LHS Lawns

Sad but true.
  7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

LHS, I think customers are surprised for two reasons. The first one being the fact that your education exceeds most of you typical solo lawn maintenance operations.Secondly, I am a little surprised that you would even be in business with the position you are in with state department of agriculture.
    A position like that is my dream job; having completed a bachelors in environmental science recently, I have been looking for a position in conservation or land use planning. Therefore, I am not surprised your customers might wonder why you are doing both. Probably a mix of the fun of being outside and making extra cash is the reason you are doing both.

It is all about perception in lawn care. Everyone from drunks to college graduates is out maintaining property for customers.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are, what you believe in your mind to be...opinions are just what the word defines...a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Act and display yourself as a professional, and this is what the public will define you to be.
  9. LHS Lawns

One of the reasons I do it is being my own boss and owning my own business is very rewarding. There's nothing like it. Of course the income is great too.

I really took the business up a couple notches in the last 5-6 years with the licenseing and equipment. With the always unstable State budget concerns I wanted to be ready to hit the ground running if I had to take it full time.

Yes it is a dream job, I've been blessed to be at my position for the last 15 years. With the time off that I have at work its a no-brainer to go out and start a business. Alot of guys in my position are in the lawn/landscape business.

Without working in a field office there is no way I could successfully run the business.

Those that know I have another job admire my work ethic and the fact that I can get it all done when I say it will be done. You can almost set your watch any time of the week when I pull on to any customers property , weather permitting of course.

I never mention it when I get a new customer because I'm afraid it will turn them off. I was surprised by the positive feed back I got when a few customers found out.

I just never took the time to work it into the presentation. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Sounds like you have the right degree. Check out your local Soil Conservation Office. Usually they have Federal, State, and County positions. At least thats what is in Maryland.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ha ha ha ha!
    Very good.
    When I saw the wiki quote I just rolled my eyes but you verbalized it.:weightlifter: