No Respect for the profession

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHS Lawns, Oct 4, 2012.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

One of our for fathers for sure. They knew how to do things right and were very wise.

2. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

When I started this thread Jim your highly successful company was one that came to mind that does get respect. The services you offer especially the hardscaping and landscape design shouldn't have a problem with respect at all.

I've found that my customers do respect me as a person who owns/operates a business.

It just really jumped out at me how they separate me from the profession.

Being well-mannered, hard working, and proficient should make any profession
    respectable.

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Very well said Jim. I feel the same way. Interacting with the client makes all the difference in the world. I ALWAYS try to relate to them regardless until it goes politics then I draw the line. LOL

4. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

ITs good to see someone who respects the profession. Keep on looking good.

5. LHS Lawns

Thanks for the kind words Justpayme.

Great looking truck and trailer you have there.

6. A1 Outdoor Services

A1 Outdoor Services LawnSite Member

Living in South Alabama, our econmy is very ag driven, so lucky for us "working men" are very respected, so we probably dont have this problem as much as some of you from other areas. Now, sure there are the folks with push mowers hanging out of the trunk etc. but us that are legit are respected

7. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

8. LHS Lawns

9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I certainly agree with what you are saying, but respect should have nothing to do with a person's income, or level of education, for that matter. If that were the case, drug lords and mafia bosses should at the top of our respect list. Some of the people I've come to respect the most throughout my life never finished high school, and probably never made $20,000 a year in today's dollars their whole life.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is a very good point of view...People need to remember, they came into this world naked, and with nothing, and for the value of what you are buried in, you would be just as well off leaving in the same manner.

An older gentleman once made this statement to me, he said, "son, let me tell you something, the only thing you will take with you when you leave this world is what you gave away."

I thought that to be one of the most sensible statements I had ever heard, and have never forgotten it.

The way some reason about people acquiring large amounts of money being of higher caliber reminds me of this story...There was an extremely wealthy gentleman that became seriously ill, he told his wife that if he died he wanted her to put one million dollars in his casket before he was buried, because he honestly had no idea of what it may be like on the other side. She promised she would honor his request...immediately after his burial several of his really close friends approached his wife, they knew what his request had been and were dieing to find out if she had honestly done what he asked of her. They all ran up like school children waiting for a treat, the spokesman for the group then asked...did you really put a million dollars in his casket before they buried him...she said, I most certainly did, I wrote him a check and put it into his right hand pants pocket, making it as easy as possible for him to access.