1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No Serial No. No Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Aug 16, 2001.

1. dhicks

dhicks Member

Ahhh yesterday while at my Toro dealer I noticed a new sign that read No Serial Nos.- No Service. It made me happy that at least one dealer is being proactive to protect our equipment. Way to Go - Lawson's.:blob4:
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So that gives us something else to check for when looking at a used machine. No serial number no purchase! Thanks for the info dhicks. Maybe others will catch on too. But dont hold your breath!
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Since several members have emailed me asking advice on used equipment, if it's about a Dixie Chopper, I always tell them how to tell what year it is by the serial number.

I think we should get a list of different Mfg on how you can tell what year they are by the serial numbers together and I'll make a page on my website for this reference.

For example, Dixie Chopper reverses the first 2 numbers of the serial number to get the year. If it starts with 59, it is a 1995.

Kohler, you add 70 to the first 2 numbers for the year and the next 3 numbers is the day of the year it was made. Example, 31235XXXXXX would mean it was built in 2001 and on the 235th day of the year.

If you know of others, please post it here and I will get this list together, so maybe we can help someone from making a mistake.
  4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Toro also reverses the first two numbers for the year
  5. taz72373

taz72373 LawnSite Member

Would any one know how Ferris does theres. I bought a 48"ferris walk-behind for $400 from a guy about a year ago and he told me it was 5 years old. By the looks of it it looks as if it was 25 years old but I needed another mower in a hurry and there it was and cheap at that. Now I don't need it and would sell it but I still would like to know how new or old it really is. If any one knows the trick to finding out the year I would be happy. Even the local ferris dealer couldn't tell me but he is kind of a dumb one.

with all good intentions:blob1: :blob4: :blob3:
  6. steve

steve LawnSite Member

taz72373 Can you post a picture of your ferris, maybe I could tell you about what year it could be!
  7. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where the serial number is located on the Dixie Chopper?? A friend of mine bought a used one and he wants to find out what year it is.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what about lesco? I'm sure mine is soon due for a 10 year class reuinion!

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

There is way too much 'hot' equipment floating around out there, and maybe this will help make less of a market for it, therefore deterring thief's.

This and the construction industry have always been hot targets for these thiefs, and they know they can unload the equipment fast.

This is just another reason why I always push local organizations for LCO's. If I know that 'Joe Blow's Mow and Go' got a blower stolen from them last night and this afternoon some crackhead asks me to buy it, CAUGHT!

Anyway, its great that your dealer has made this policy, but I hope it catches on to the rest.
  10. This is the reason I have blank plates handy. What model and serial # would you like?

May I suggest a movie rental for the vcr/dvd this weeked?

Pick up "At Close Range" a true story based on a theft ring based in South Central Penna.

The actual ring leader/killer escaped for state prision in the last few years and was found in Delaware.

He has that Charles Manson/Eddie Vetter glare in this eyes.