no signs on truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by okiest8, Apr 20, 2006.

1. okiest8

okiest8 LawnSite Member

i just started my own lawn service.and had my logo put on my truck,trailer.My ? is i see a lot of lawn service trucks with no signs at all how to contact them.do you think they have to many customers that they don't want anymore lawns.:confused:

2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mowing for going on 4 years now, and it is my first with signs on the truck. Everybody I have talked to said that they really never got any more business from having signs on their trucks, at least not very much. I think it is just a thing to look more professional, which it does do. But I see that you are located here in Kansas, so I thought that maybe you would like to know that you might want to add a DOT # to your sign and your gross weight (what your tag says). I don't know what kinda truck/trailer you are runnin, but if you have pretty much any truck 1/2 ton or bigger and a tandem trailer, you need to look into being DOT/KCC compliant. I am just working on this this year, but if you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

different strokes, for different folks. some people just feel it isn't necessary i guess. I think some type of lettering, whether it be magnetic signs or vinyl lettering is great for name recongnition.

4. KeenanB

KeenanB LawnSite Member

One thing to think about, that I learned from a friend of mine, who has a VERY, and I do mean VERY, successful industrial tire business who runs many trucks, also does some passenger stuff but not much. Anyway... Only his biggest delivery truck has the company name on it. The reason being is that, unfortunately, around here someone sees that sign on there, thinks "hmm...a business with a lot of commercial insurance", and you end up in an accident...because they want a new car and some money...and a lot of times they get it. I know it happened to him once or twice...so, his smaller trucks have no signage on them. Just to keep people from seeing that sign as their winning mini-lotto ticket.

However, I do agree that it would look more professional, even if it didn't draw in more business. But, hey, think about it this way...if you keep the signage reasonable and can find a good price for it, one decent contract and you paid for it whether it works again or not.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My insurance for the truck would cost at least 1,000 dollars / year more than what it is now... Another way to say it is, it would put my truck in the commercial category but so long I have no signs on it, I'm covered under my personal policy and that is very nice. I suspect it has to do with what keenanb just got done explaining about lotto tickets, kinda ... And it does make sense, no signs sometimes means it's not covered commercially but putting signs on it is a fair guarantee that it is.

6. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I feel signs on the truck are another way of engraving your name in someone's memory. If they see you out at the neighbor's property parked on the road every week doing the lawns and see you do a quality job they will remember that name. If you don't have any signs they may not have a clue who is mowing that yard unless they go and ask that person. Same thing with yard signs. I have a few customers that live on very popular golf courses and I put a small yard sign in the back yard so that the golfers see that name everytime they play golf. I figure those golf courses have 60,000 rounds per year so that is one of the best ways to get your name out there. I have a saying that someone is always watching to see what kind of job you are going to do because many lco's come and go, I hope to be one that stays and grows.

7. okiest8

okiest8 LawnSite Member

i have a 2002 dodge half ton 4x4 ,trailer is a 5x14 single axle do i need to be dot,kcc compliant?

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got 4 sets of magnets for my truck. I keep my all white because we do a lot of sub contracting work. So who ever I am working for that day. I put their magnets on. The other contractors we work for love it. Because then they don't have to explain to the customer why another company is working on the job they sold. Which is also why we have just plain green shirts. 70% of the time my magnets are on it.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but stay single axle on the trailer or your GVWR may exceed 10,000 pounds at which point you may be required to have a class-C Commercial Driver's License.

As far as current compliance, your lights need to work.

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

its for branding... when you have a nice logo and someone happens to open up the local paper and needs a new landscaper they might remember seeing your truck doing a house on there block or see you at a nice looking lawn