"no sir you don't have sprinklers in that area"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

my dad has told stories of my moms dad tuning engines by listening to them with a wooden handled screwdriver. that's where i got the sound rod idea.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A mechanic's stethoscope comes in handy now and then...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 5' piece of pipe
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do that while listening for the return of my ex-wife. The only weird looks I get is when I tell them she is . . . .

I've used a 4' piece of sch 40 1" pipe as a sounding rod before. Actually found a 2" valve buried almost three feet deep next to some mature Arizona Ash trees at an apartment complex. 521 got me close but the signal attenuated due to root interference so I continually cycled the remote to open and close the valve and after about ten minutes - found the valve.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

word on the street is she sleeps with a nite lite on, not that she's afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of her....

first i've heard of signal attenuation because of root interference, i'll check it out :waving:

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad taught me that one. He learned in the Cee Bees. I now have his mechanics stethoscope. Either way very handy to pinpoint noisy bearings on engine pulleys.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have one in the van that one of the employees drives.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

When I had dual carb Jaguars, a old mechanic taught me to tune them with a short length of garden hose.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Heard something on the radio the other day about trees producing electricity. Just did a search and found this.

Maybe some species produce a little more than others and cause interference?

I have heard that oak trees in the hills around here interfere with cell phone signals... but maybe that's the providers' excuse for spotty coverage. I'm just specualting, but maybe dense roots can dampen a locator's signal?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010