No Skid Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you operate your business without a skid sprayer? Is it possible to make applications only with ride ons, push spreaders and backpacks? It would seem at some point you would need a skid sprayer for fungus treatments, blanket weed control; pest control and etc.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Scott - I am planning to start out small scale weed control with only a backpack. We are talking 1/4 acre resi lots here. Don't have the funds for a $3K investment in a skid this next season.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You DO NOT need a skid sprayer if you have a ride on, but could you use one if you had it? Probably.

You will get by just fine without it.

I do have a skid type sprayer (actually home made) and 98% of its use it for carrying water only for my ride on.

I do limited insect control out of it, but that is it!

Other then that it is just a glorified water tank! :)

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Could I get by without a skid sprayer, maybe, but I wouldn't want to try. On anything smaller than 5k to 6k I drag the hose. It is so much faster than getting the ride-on off the trailer, getting the small spots and trimming the edges. I also use it for mosquito control, liquid dimension and Bifenthren for sod webworm. It is just a nice tool to have in the toolbox that I would not want to be without. I did my applications for 3 years without it, but now can't imaginebeing without it. JMHO and experience.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Oooohh Yuck!

That sounds like manual labor to me! :laugh:

You won't find this fat boy walking a lawn! :laugh:

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I do it with just a backpack sprayer. I couldn't justify anything more right now. However, if we keep growing at the rate we are, I will be looking into a ride on.

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

So what do you weigh now 300 + do you need a WIDE LOAD sign for that permagreen and eight ply tires :laugh::waving:

8. CHARLES CUE

I do have a skid sprayer but you could use all three and do a fine job you can do blanket weed control with a ride on as many do and if you dont have to many irrigated yards you wont have to much fungus problems pest control some can be done dry like merit and than play it buy ear from there
    Good Luck Charles Cue

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I posted this in another thread...meant to go here! Guess it ain't funny now...or maybe it never was! :cry:

Is that why when I back up now it goes....beep, beep, beep. :laugh:

No...I should be about 185-190....but unfortunatly I will start out the season around 225! Unfortunatly it happens every winter!

I will lose all my winter fat come sping...but not from physical labor, just STRESS~! :laugh:

10. CHARLES CUE

I will let you stress your off i will work mine off work is better for you than stress any way stress gives me a headache
    Charles Cue