no smoking policy??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dzs1945, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dzs1945

dzs1945 LawnSite Member

Is it legal to have a no smoking policy? Do you hire people who smoke?? Does it decrease production?? daniel

2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

I have a supervisor that smokes, so I kinda always had that question in the back of my mind.

Dennis

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say it was legal. The company I worked for before I went full time had a no smoking policy. You smoke you don't get hired. They in fact, before I left had implemented a smoke free work place. So if a person smoked they had to leave company property at break, and lunch in order to smoke.
    This company was a nation wide company too.

Later, Tony

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know but i heard on the news scotts up north some where fired a guy for smoking and hes sueing or something ill look it up

5. dzs1945

dzs1945 LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys. Legal or no, I believe a smoker is not near as productive as a nonsmoker. On our guys took 4 10 min potty (smoke) breaks a day untill we cracked down.

6. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

My policy is No smoking on my time. Ok before punch in, at lunch (but not on customers property), and after punch out at end of day. Have not had too many prob.
    The company I worked for paid lunch time as well and would not let them smoke on lunch either.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

afaik, you can basically do most anything you want so long you're not discriminating based on age, sex, race, or religion...
    I'm not 100% sure if it's those 4 things or not, but I said basically...