no sod what gives?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok i just re-did a front of the house landscape and tore out a huge landscape bed and made it smaller for the owner and she wanted to put sod in for it. well i got to a total of 6 landscape places mom & pop types to the big guys lowes, hd. no one has Bahia sod? i could have gotin it any were last year. what gives that no one has any? just zosya and st aug?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Too cool to harvest.

3. Frontier-Lawn

yet verizion and the county are puting it down on current projects around here!

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Why would anyone want Bahia sod? I would never put that stuff anywhere but maybe a roadside. You would have to mow it every day in the summer if it was fertilized and watered. It is good in a drought situation, and plenty of people have it in their yard around my area. But not by choice. Is there some different variety out there that I just don't know about?

5. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy Bahai as sod? Why? Sod it with anything other than Bahia or if you must have the horrible stuff intentionally - seed it. The county has great luck seeding it on roadsides here.

6. Frontier-Lawn

thats what the rest of the yard is. it would look stupid if 90% was bahia and the other 10% was st aug.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It may be that Verizon and the county have bought all there is? The drought has been bad and it has very likely put a damper on sod production.