No Solicitation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I'm new this year and have read almost every post in this fourm (JIMLEWIS is a genius) as many others. And I was wondering what you pro's do in a gated (No Solicitation) subdivision?
    Is my only option calling? I really cant mail anything, stamps are to expensive.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gone right past the gate one way or another on foot.

A suggestion is better than just a flyer - probably not a good place to knock on a door - and a flyer on a linen paper, in an envelope would have a touch of class rather than a rolled flyer stuffed in the handle.

If you can get anything in a gated community, it also can be worth the stamps. It may be worth walking in once to write the addresses, and then do a mailing.

Every experiment requires some kind of materials list and cost.

Without being a bull in a china shop, some rules need to be broken.

Ever see MEN OF HONOR. Cuba Gooding's character's dad said to "break their own rules" if you have to.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, Mario. Long time no see ;-)

I dunno that I am any genius. But thanx for the compliment regardles.

Like Mario, I would try to find a way in there on foot and put a flyer on the doors. Often you can just wait and follow another car in. I've done that several times. Otherwise, they often have walk-through gates that are open. Or you can just find a way in one way or another. But I usually just do the first method - follow someone in.

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a gated community and they have posted a "No Solicitation" notice, then you are wise to stay out. Why would you want to tarnish your reputation by trespassing? If you follow a car in uninvited or walk in uninvited you are trespassing. These residents watch for these things.
    You could place an ad in the local paper and target that specific area in the context of your ad. They probably have a Home Owner's Association. Find out who the head of the Grounds Committee is and call them.
    These people have chosen to live in a gated community for several reasons, one being that they do not want to be bothered by this type of solicitation. In that type of community it looks unprofessional and most importantly it is illegal. Good luck.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Lombardini,

This is something that I've encountered and I'm with you on it. These people will probably be pretty mad about me soliciting them, because that is exactly what they don't want. You don't want to make them mad before you even get on their lawns.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. If it actually has a sign posted right in front of the entrance saying "No soliciting" then yah, I guess you're screwed. But I haven't come across one of those yet.

Besides, soliciting entails knocking and bugging people, not laying flyers. Several of our customers have "no soliciting" signs on their front doors, yet we left a flyer and then got them as a customer. I think the point is people don't want to be bothered by salespeople. But flyers don't usually bother people in that way.

7. Tbarchaser

from Florida

Thanks,
    Sounds like good advice,

I have a friend that works for the phone company and he got me a list of all phone #'s and addys separated by subdivision. There is around 700 people that I would like to target, $800k to 12 million! Do you think calling them is cheesy? I hate telemarketing but are my odds better. Jimlewis said he had 10-15% positive results with that, The % is far better than flyer's.

And not just gates...24h guards with guns:dizzy:
    These places are full of celebrity's, Tiger woods, Wesley Snipes, And Tyra Banks, plus every player for the Orlando Magic. I have one of those Estate accounts and its $550 a month ,3 doors down from Shaq. I just need 20 or so:) and get rid of my crappy weed infested dog **** lawns.

8. Tbarchaser

from Florida

Maybe I should try and weasel my may in to all of those subdivisions and take pics of the worst ones and make customized mailers for each and enclose a pic of my big estate lawn to show my work. Would this be a waste of my time?

Also do you think my logo would appeal to the upper crust?
    I am a one man crew and I do have all printed polo type shirts and I wear the same type shoes, hat , and pants each day to be as professional as I can be. Truck and trailer are lettered too. Plus 2 mil in gen liability.

9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Man would I love to get some of those contracts too. Wouldn't it be cool to play basketball with Shaq against you and the guy who helps you?:D You'd still get creamed.

10. Tbarchaser

from Florida

He has this Harley type chopper thing that is huge, And I see him riding it around town all the time. The gaurds are strict in there and security keeps an eye on me too:( . So door knocking is way out of the question.