No Soliciting Issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmanlq, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

So I'm passing out fliers this AM and this upset lady pulls up in a car and says my fliers are pulling the paint off of her mailbox and that there is no soliciting in the subdivision. I couldn't sleep so I was putting these fliers out at 5AM...maybe she can't sleep like me. I did not see the NO soliciting sign at the entrance so I told her that. Told her I was sorry and stopped putting them on as she said their subdivision has a service for the whole neighborhood. I'll check into that as there must be 300+ homes there. Any easy way to find out if a subdivision has contracted a service beforehand...a website or something...short of pestering homeowners?

My subdivision has a No Soliciting sign at both entrances yet we still get the magnets, business cards, fliers taped or tacked to the mailboxes. What do you guys do to advertise in these types of neighborhoods? I'm careful not to put anything in the mailbox or on the flag. Guess I'll try using masking tape instead of scotch tape. Thought about door hangers but I'm not wanting to get out of the car to walk up to their door. Where do you door hanger guys put your hangers?

Am I being paranoid here? Should I just keep putting the flyers out but use masking tape instead of scotch tape? Your thoughts are much appreciated as I'm really wanting to get more customers in the subdivisions that are close to me and where I have current customers.

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

get the addresses of homes in the subdivision and mail out the flyers. or even better yet get ahold of the HOA and see if they would be interested in accepting bids for the upcoming season.

3. TNT MOWING

TNT MOWING LawnSite Member

was this in cumming or somewhere else? I Know in Alpharetta there are some large groups that run two crews all week mon-sat, in one neighborhood but there are lots of small timers in there like me.

4. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

check with the HOA any local realestate dealer can get you the contact info.
    a fresh box of doughnuts in the am will get you a long way with a few biz cards,. (DONT FORGET THE NAPKINS)

5. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

Yes it was in Cumming.

6. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

i was told by my sister, who works for a large company in indpls that it was considered canvassing...not soliciting.

7. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

You should know that putting anything on any part of a mailbox is a federal offense. We put out door hangers -- one at a time; and yes, they are hung on the door!

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i was told that it was only illegal if you put them in the mailbox

9. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the provision from the USPS reg: 1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Tennessee, I've heard of cases where flyers were placed in sub-divisions that had "No Soliciting" signs posted ... some people complained and the LCO lost his business license because of it !!