"No Soliciting" on door...still leave a flyer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oilcan, Mar 30, 2014.

1. kenneslandlandscaping

kenneslandlandscaping LawnSite Member

no problem with a leave behind. Soliciting means to ask for something. Leaving an informational piece is not really asking for anything.

2. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong.

Leaving a door hanger on the door, or a flyer on the property is soliciting. According to the LAW, period. Doesn't matter if you knock, talk to someone, etc.

We just went over this with a local lawn company who thought the same way. They were fined for solicitation without a permit even though they did not knock on the doors. The LCO took it to court and LOST. The law is the law, and the law states that if you leave ANY marketing material on someone's property, that is an act of solicitation.

Some people just need to learn this the hard way :hammerhead:

3. dumb me thought no meant no.

4. kenneslandlandscaping

kenneslandlandscaping LawnSite Member

You are undoubtedly correct about where you live but solicitation laws are typically established at the city, township or county level. For example, here in King County Washington the applicable law reads as follows:

12.66.010 Solicitation prohibited if sign posted. If a person has not been requested or invited by the occupant, the person shall not enter or remain upon any private premises for the purpose of contacting the occupant to solicit the immediate or future purchase or sale of goods, services or any other thing of value if a sign stating "No Solicitation" or "No Trespassing" is posted at or near the entrance to the premises. (Ord. 17204 § 2, 2011).

12.66.020 Exemptions. The following are exempted from the prohibitions in K.C.C. 12.66.010:
    A. The leaving at private premises printed materials advertising products or services;
    B. Solicitations by organizations that are charitable, nonprofit, religious or political in nature, or by government agencies; and
    C. Solicitations by farmers exempted under chapter 36.71.090 RCW. (Ord. 17204 § 3, 2011).

As you can see the leaving behind of printed materials is not considered unlawful.

I stand corrected on my blanket statement. Each individual should check local regulations, first.

KN
    www.kenneslandlandscaping.com
    kenneslandlandscaping@ieola.com

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

No don't do it. Those people will probably get pissed and call the police.

6. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

This I agree with! :)

7. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I always skip the ones with the no soliciting signs just in case. Not worth it IMO. By the way, I saw the weirdest sign the other day while slinging a couple flyers in a new account neighborhood......"Do Not Videotape my children or my grandchildren"!!! We were like WTF, that's doesn't even make sense!!??

8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

To this end, it is my understanding that courts have ruled that religious and political persons are exempt from NO SOLICITATION regs because it is protected speech. As they are not actually attempting to sell a product or service.

On a somewhat related note, the City of Troy, Mich. has started a "Do Not Knock" Registry because of all the problems with door-to-door solicitors.

The full story is here...
    www.wxyz.com/news/do-not-knock-registry-in-troy-keeps-solicitors-away

9. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

From a moral standpoint, I won't bother people with a no soliciting sign.

10. DeanMachine

DeanMachine LawnSite Member
    from CT

You most definitely can still have success selling someone even though they have a no soliciting sign. I know a guy who actually a landed a job with the company I was currently working for because of his sales ability or wittiness whatever you'd like to call it. He came into the building, gave his pitch and was scolded by the lady working there and she reiterated that there was a no soliciting sign out front. He rebuddled saying "I did see the sign and I do understand what it means, but I tend to look at it as more of a yield sign." The sales manager overheard his comeback and nearly offered him a job on the spot. Worse comes to worst I've had the cops called on me for soliciting and all they do is shew you out of the neighborhood because they know you mean no harm. That is if your dressed professionally that is.